Newbie Droid Owner (maybe?)

DroidSparky

Reaction score
Patience with the noob, all.

I've been a relatively happy owner of the iPhone 3GS for a year or so, but am losing my patience with the proprietary aspect of the device. Moving music from my computer to the phone is is a PITA. iTunes slows my computer to a crawl, and frankly, even as an MCSE and ex-techie--I can't quite figure out how to use the iTunes software as a whole.

I'm considering a different platform. Droid comes to mind, and I'm at the end of my AT&T store contract, so pretty much any Droid-based phone would be $200 at most, with some being free, and many being 50 or 99 bucks.

The move from iPhone to Android would be mostly to rid myself of iTunes. The most important aspects follow:
1. I'd want a phone to simply show up in My Computer in Windows. iPhone doesn't! :(
2. I'd like a camera in the front and back.
3. I'd like to be sure that the mp3 jack is standard on any phone I'd be looking at (in other words, would the same cable from my iPhone fit in to my auto's mp3 jack. . . )
4. I'd like it if more than 80% of the apps I run are compatible with Droid based phones.
5. Since I'd be moving from 3G (bandwidth) to a 4G network, should I expect the monthly charges to differ greatly? Right now I have unlimited everything from AT&T, but I'm hearing that true 4G will not be unlimited, but tiered pricing. I'd have no issue with that, as I don't use more than a few hundred megabytes/month. Should I expect to pay a lot more for a 4G phone as far as monthly charges go?
6. Finally, and most importantly, I'd like to be able to move music and pictures from phone to computer, and computer to phone using the standard file xfer scenario (my computer) just as if it were a thumb drive or portable hard disk drive.

Thanks for the answers, everyone!! If the answers to my questions suit my needs, any suggestions on phones? I've always been a fan of Motorolas, but the guy at the AT&T store has the opinion that Motorola dropped the ball when it comes to newer smartphones.

Thanks again!! Hope to hear a wide variety of answers. I love different opinions, and always consider 100 answers better than 1.

:)

Last edited:

dasanman69

Reaction score
Well I can answer question 5. Are you staying with ATT? Their 4G isn't really 4G but 3G+. As of right now only Sprint is charging more for its 4G service. I would stay with ATT thus keeping your unlimited data and get the Atrix.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
1: Your phone will show up but you have to tap two buttons to do it after connecting your data cable.

2: Currently Verizon has a few phones with two cameras. Thunderbolt, Incredible 2, and I think the Charge (available soon).

3: Don't know, I don't do that.

4: No Iphone apps are compatible with Android apps. You can find developers that have created Android apps that are similar to the Iphone apps, but you can't move your apps from your Iphone to your Android phone.

5: No. Currently Verizon is only charging $29.99/month for unlimited data. Tiered pricing is coming, but no definitive date has been set yet. BTW, unless you get a 4G phone you won't be on a 4G network. Example: Incredible 2 is a 3G phone so it uses the 3G network, and the Thunderbolt is a 4G phone and it uses the 4G network (not trying to be demeaning, just keeping it easy to understand). Both are currently the same price, $29.99.

6: That is exactly how you do it. Once you have connected your phone to your computer it shows up as a removable storage device, exactly like a thumb drive. It is a very simple 3-5 second process.

Thunderbolt has gotten some miserable reviews, but it is 4G. My next phone will be the Incredible 2 because it is still a 3G phone. 4G is too new and is having some expected hiccups. Some will redicule me for that but it's my money and I don't care lol. Several phones are going to be coming out over the next few months so if you can you could wait to see what is coming out.

OP
D

DroidSparky

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, folks. I've decided upon the Samsung Infuse 4G. AT&T only sells 3 android phones, the Atrix, HTC Inspire, and the one I'm getting. The phone is a little large, but the display is beautiful, it'll have 48 GB of storage when I insert my 32 GB micro SD card, it's got a 1.2 GHz processor and a beefy 1750 mAh battery. I've spent about 3 days researching.

Know what's funny? A good 40% of the reviews begin with, "I've had the Apple 3GS or 4 for quite some time now and I'm SO happy I switched!" :)

dasanman69

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, folks. I've decided upon the Samsung Infuse 4G. AT&T only sells 3 android phones, the Atrix, HTC Inspire, and the one I'm getting. The phone is a little large, but the display is beautiful, it'll have 48 GB of storage when I insert my 32 GB micro SD card, it's got a 1.2 GHz processor and a beefy 1750 mAh battery. I've spent about 3 days researching.

Know what's funny? A good 40% of the reviews begin with, "I've had the Apple 3GS or 4 for quite some time now and I'm SO happy I switched!" :)

Good choice and welcome. Btw where did you read these reviews?

OP
D

DroidSparky

Reaction score

Good choice and welcome. Btw where did you read these reviews?

Thanks! :)

I read the reviews on CNet, Consumer Reports, and the few sites where the phone is sold (reviews written by owners).

I'm pretty happy so far, but have much to learn, as it's not as intuitive as the iPhone, but THAT'S OK! The control seems to be far more granular and customizable; which is exactly what I was after.