Newb with a D2G

jmdale1984

Reaction score
I have a D2G that I'm thinking about rooting and installing a custom ROM.

I haven't rooted a droid before, or really done any hacks on an android phone. I did a lot of hacking on a Moto Razr I had a few year ago, but that's the limit of my experience.

How do I...

1. Get rid of Motoblur completely?
2. Get rid of all of Verizon's bloatware?
3. Upgrade the OS to Gingerbread (if that's possible yet)?

I really just want my phone to be plain Android like the Nexus... I don't want or need all the junk on the phone.

I really wish Motorola would stand up to Verizon like Apple did and refuse to let them put any junk on it.

I was holding out high hopes for the 2.3 OTA update, but looking at recent news about the Droid X's 2.3 update... it looks like VZ/Moto is totally gonna screw up the OTA if it ever comes.

Someone please help me here, I've been crawling all over the web, but I only keep getting more confused. I'm starting to think that rooting and installing a custom ROM is the only way I'll ever have a droid phone that works right.

mopar57

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Your in the right spot now, just look around its all there. But to answer the questions:
1: custom rom (fission or fenom)/ or TBU and freeze alot-(wont take it completely off but helps)
2: See 1
3:There are some leaks for GB, you just have to sbf if you want to get rid of it.

but if you root (z4root), download droid bootstrap to be able to get into recover and make a back up.

OP
J

jmdale1984

Reaction score
I'm still confused as hell... lol.

It looks like Fission is the only ROM that's working very well, but I'm not sure to where to get it. I went to Team Defuse's web site and it only says that the D2G rom is coming soon.

And once I get ahold of the ROM... what are the steps... root, backup, flash rom?

mopar57

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
download fission rom manager
the rom manger will pick the right download for your phone (should be at the top)
download the zip
root
bootstrap/make backup!!!
(follow steps on website)-baiscs clear cache,date/wipe
choose zip from sd (fission folder/fissionrom/zip
install
enjoy
(made have forgot steps, but check out the website

OP
J

jmdale1984

Reaction score
Ok... I think I'm starting to get it.

I got the ROM manager working on my phone... it's busy downloading Fission.

I can't seem to download z4root on my PC because it thinks it's a virus... lol. I'll have to tackle that on the phone in a min.

I got bootstrap downloaded to my PC. I'll put it on the phone in a min.

Is this all I need?

OP
J

jmdale1984

Reaction score
Ok... after getting on another pC and emailing the files to my phone... I'm booted and I have Fission!

It's awesome... I should have done this a LONG time ago!

eqforus5

Reaction score
Another good rom that has a lot of support is Liberty. Only draw back is if you use Liberty on the D2G you also have to us the GRD v7 Romer. Other than that it works like a charm. It is what I am using and I love it. There are many themes available for it as well.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Ok... after getting on another pC and emailing the files to my phone... I'm booted and I have Fission!

Email is a pita imo. I used to do it to till I tried dropbox. So much easier. Plus gmail doesnt allow apk attachments when you need to send an app to be side loaded. ;)

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Email is a pita imo. I used to do it to till I tried dropbox. So much easier. Plus gmail doesnt allow apk attachments when you need to send an app to be side loaded. ;)

So much easier just to dump it on the sd card using usb card. Dont have to transfer it to your dropbox, sync, download on phone, then install. Its just plug in, transfer, unplug, install.

OP
J

jmdale1984

Reaction score
I'm up and running with fission, and a new blue theme. I loved the third eye black theme, but it kep showing random icons instead of my battery level.

The only problem I'm having now is that a lot of the sections in the settings app force close as soon as I try to open them.

I was using the usb to transfer files on my PC (win 7), but I had to use a vista pc to get some of the files, so I just emailed them to myself from the other pc. The stock gmail app had no problem opening apk files on my phone. In fact, I didn't even have to save them, it gave me the option to install them directly from the email.

Now I'm debating either reflashing Fission to get back to the stock them, or finding another theme that actually works right.

satoru

Reaction score

I haven't rooted a droid before, or really done any hacks on an android phone. I did a lot of hacking on a Moto Razr I had a few year ago, but that's the limit of my experience.

How do I...

I really just want my phone to be plain Android like the Nexus... I don't want or need all the junk on the phone.

I really wish Motorola would stand up to Verizon like Apple did and refuse to let them put any junk on it.

I was holding out high hopes for the 2.3 OTA update, but looking at recent news about the Droid X's 2.3 update... it looks like VZ/Moto is totally gonna screw up the OTA if it ever comes.

Someone please help me here, I've been crawling all over the web, but I only keep getting more confused. I'm starting to think that rooting and installing a custom ROM is the only way I'll ever have a droid phone that works right.

Looks like you got the hang of things so far. I would try fenom 0.9.3 its better than fission as fission for d2g has one too many bugs. It is also going to be updated(says the dev in his thread) until gb comes out and everyone goes crazy. Ill start from step one. Download z4root. Download droid2 bootstrap recovery. Root your phone with z4root then boot to recovery and make a backup. Also, download titanium backup pro, its good for when you lose some app data or anything small. Its also better than having to redownload using market. Next thing you want to make sure you have is the team black hat app so that you can download the sbf file. On your computer you are going to need rsdlite in order to use the sbf, when needed. Everything you need can be found by a google search or market search in some cases. To install a ROM follow the step by step posted by the dev in which every theard they may make. Basic steps to know are, make a backup, do an sbf, update(if needed), wipe data/factory reset, then install from sdcard, select rom you are going to flash. It seems like a lot but if you look around before you do stuff you will get the idea. Best thing to know is that its next to impossible to ruin your phone unless you flash a d2 or dx rom with the specific kernel, so have fun and if something goes wrong its not the end of the world, its a simple fix. Hope this helps for anyone who needs it. If you need help with anything just ask. ;)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score

How do I...

Looks like you got the hang of things so far. I would try fenom 0.9.3 its better than fission as fission for d2g has one too many bugs. It is also going to be updated(says the dev in his thread) until gb comes out and everyone goes crazy. Ill start from step one. Download z4root. Download droid2 bootstrap recovery. Root your phone with z4root then boot to recovery and make a backup. Also, download titanium backup pro, its good for when you lose some app data or anything small. Its also better than having to redownload using market. Next thing you want to make sure you have is the team black hat app so that you can download the sbf file. On your computer you are going to need rsdlite in order to use the sbf, when needed. Everything you need can be found by a google search or market search in some cases. To install a ROM follow the step by step posted by the dev in which every theard they may make. Basic steps to know are, make a backup, do an sbf, update(if needed), wipe data/factory reset, then install from sdcard, select rom you are going to flash. It seems like a lot but if you look around before you do stuff you will get the idea. Best thing to know is that its next to impossible to ruin your phone unless you flash a d2 or dx rom with the specific kernel, so have fun and if something goes wrong its not the end of the world, its a simple fix. Hope this helps for anyone who needs it. If you need help with anything just ask. ;)

With 100+ apps the market takes over an hour to restore apps. Titanium takes maybe 10 min. So your right there.

As for d2 or dx roms I don't think dx roms will work on the d2 much less the d2g. Plus at this point they can't use modded kernals due to the locked boot loader like us.

Also you tell the op no worries if something goes wrong it is a simple fix. You say it like it is certain but its not certain because it depends what he did. Most likley it is an easy fix but it is possible to brick your phone go. You should never ever sugar coat it to a noob, when it comes to something like this, as if nothing can go wrong because it can. In 99% of cases an sbf can fix anything but there is a chance still that an sbf can't fix what was done.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

gunz.jones

Reaction score
The romer pack for the d2g has a similar cousin for the dx to d2. Still has some issues due to hardware differences, similar to the d2 to d2g. And sbf does not always work. I know.

Sent from a D2G Dark Angel

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
The romer pack for the d2g has a similar cousin for the dx to d2. Still has some issues due to hardware differences, similar to the d2 to d2g. And sbf does not always work. I know.

Odd I havent heard anything of a romer equivalent mentioned. Maybe since I stick to the D2 forums.

As for SBF, its not that I am saying the SBF itself doesnt work every time, but just trying to emphasize that the it is possible to brick the phone 100% beyond repair.

satoru

Reaction score

Odd I havent heard anything of a romer equivalent mentioned. Maybe since I stick to the D2 forums.

As for SBF, its not that I am saying the SBF itself doesnt work every time, but just trying to emphasize that the it is possible to brick the phone 100% beyond repair.

Yes you are correct, it is possible. The only thing I heard that could brick a phone beyond repair was to flash a d2/dx rom with kernel over a d2g as the kernels are not the same and we have no access to d2g kernel. So there is 1% chance but just watch what you do and read every little detail. If for some reason while doing an sbf it fails could you not start from step one.