New Wannabe

stpitcher

Reaction score
Hi. I'm Steve Pitcher. Retired from the Tech industry.

About 20 years ago I looked at myself and realized that I couldn't consider myself to be a computer professional and know nothing about the world of PCs. So I bought a couple of PC magazines, and bought a PC. (486/4 meg).

Now, 20 years later, I have to say about the same thing about smart phones. They're the way the world is going, and I'd like to have a clue. So...

Shortly I'm hoping to get a Droid X. Seems to be more or less the latest and greatest... Possibly even, unquestionably so. And hopefully it'll remain a great choice for at least a couple of years, though in this day and age, I'm sure it'll be obsolete by Christmas.

My wife says I spend too much time on the computer... and of course she's right. Now picking up another nifty device, that puts me on-line... ah.. not only Always On, but also Always There! This thing will be with me pretty much where ever I go, and will constantly be a distraction. So I figure I need to pay attention to this issue.

Otherwise, what do I hope to use it for? Gee... Everything. That's what its good at, isn't it?

1) Bookreader... I don't figure it'll be a great book reader, but until I can get a real one I'll try this.

2) Email... I've switched to using IMAPI on my computer, so as to leave the content on the server... figuring that I'll then be able to access if from the Droid X. I *think* this will work??

3) Shopping... There are supposed to be some price comparison apps.

4) GPS... I use Microsoft Streets and Trips for our major trips... but that doesn't fit well in the car.. the Droid X will fit, and should be useful for navigating around cities we're not familiar with.

5) Camera? I don't really expect this to be a big use for me, but certainly I'll play with it.

I have VXW Family Share Plan... 2 phones, 500 minutes, plus a 5 gig mobile broadband. I'm hoping to upgrade one of the phones to the Droid X. I'll have to pay for the data plan.

How can I minimize costs?? Especially with Black Friday around the corner, and all those Christmas sales. I'm wondering what kind of specials Verizon will be offering.

- stp (aka Steve Pitcher)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm Steve Pitcher. Retired from the Tech industry.

About 20 years ago I looked at myself and realized that I couldn't consider myself to be a computer professional and know nothing about the world of PCs. So I bought a couple of PC magazines, and bought a PC. (486/4 meg).

Now, 20 years later, I have to say about the same thing about smart phones. They're the way the world is going, and I'd like to have a clue. So...

Shortly I'm hoping to get a Droid X. Seems to be more or less the latest and greatest... Possibly even, unquestionably so. And hopefully it'll remain a great choice for at least a couple of years, though in this day and age, I'm sure it'll be obsolete by Christmas.

My wife says I spend too much time on the computer... and of course she's right. Now picking up another nifty device, that puts me on-line... ah.. not only Always On, but also Always There! This thing will be with me pretty much where ever I go, and will constantly be a distraction. So I figure I need to pay attention to this issue.

Otherwise, what do I hope to use it for? Gee... Everything. That's what its good at, isn't it?

1) Bookreader... I don't figure it'll be a great book reader, but until I can get a real one I'll try this.

2) Email... I've switched to using IMAPI on my computer, so as to leave the content on the server... figuring that I'll then be able to access if from the Droid X. I *think* this will work??

3) Shopping... There are supposed to be some price comparison apps.

4) GPS... I use Microsoft Streets and Trips for our major trips... but that doesn't fit well in the car.. the Droid X will fit, and should be useful for navigating around cities we're not familiar with.

5) Camera? I don't really expect this to be a big use for me, but certainly I'll play with it.

I have VXW Family Share Plan... 2 phones, 500 minutes, plus a 5 gig mobile broadband. I'm hoping to upgrade one of the phones to the Droid X. I'll have to pay for the data plan.

How can I minimize costs?? Especially with Black Friday around the corner, and all those Christmas sales. I'm wondering what kind of specials Verizon will be offering.

- stp (aka Steve Pitcher)

As far as the "latest and greatest" Droid X might already be a bit stale. There are new Android phones coming out all the time. Not to say that the X isn't a superb phone, it's just that technology being the beast that it is will drive out the "latest" in no time.

Your best bet I feel is if you are currently a Verizon customer up for renewal or a new customer to go through Amazon.com. Great deals with Amazon.

Book Reader, yes, there is Kindle in the Market. What I like about Kindle is that you can use it with another device, like my iPad and it will open to the page you left off on.

When thinking email remember that this is a Google phone. Try as much as possible to set up everything on gmail, and use Google Calendar. That will make life easier for you and you won't have to bother with extra apps.

You'll have unlimited data for 30.00 on your X. You may also want to look at the Droid 2. Smaller screen then the X but it is basically the same. Camera is a little different. That will save you some money, they are having deals on those right now at Verizon. You shouldn't need that additional data plan.

Also take a look at this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/95195-new-unlimited-plan-big-red.html. I managed to get on this plan, some people they say yes some they say no. Don't know the reason.

fluidj

Reaction score
Personally I would call the samsung fascinate the latest and greatest verizon device.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

fluidj

Reaction score
Personally I would call the samsung fascinate the latest and greatest verizon device.

Good device but it's not a Droid. ;)

Corporately speaking, no it's not technically a "Droid". But other than that, it's just as much a droid as the X.

OP
S

stpitcher

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I feel welcomed! :)

Re: Email... I already have an email address/provider that I'm happy with. I'm not about to change. I'll have to figure out how to make this new device work for me, rather than me working for it.

I have established a GMail account, but don't expect to make extensive use of it. I'll be looking for a IMapi client on the DX.

Anyhow... I haven't gotten the device. I'm hoping to go out tomorrow... Black Friday. And I am excited.

Thanks for all the good info... here and in the other Droid Fora. Plenty to keep myself amused.

- stp

OP
S

stpitcher

Reaction score
I done it! Droid X. Got it at Verizon. Walmart offered it for $148.88... but they couldn't upgrade MY phone, since it was the secondary phone on our account. My wife's phone was upgradable. Verizon had no trouble applying the upgrade for the primary phone to my phone.

So I got it. $199, but I did get the $9.99/month discount, which will easily cover the $50 more than at Walmart.

Now for the LONG learning curve! I'll be in here for help.

Thanks all for providing such a great resource.

- stp