New Verizon 4G LTE Version of Samsung Galaxy Camera Passes Through FCC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
fcc-samsung-galaxy-camera-vzw-4g-lte.png

Here's an intriguing device. Not too long ago Samsung started selling their Android powered Galaxy Cameras. It was a truly novel concept to take the shell of an Android phone, strip out the "phone" part, and jam in a full-fledged and powerful camera. In the US the phone was released, but was limited to AT&T, which left quite a few folks disappointed. Fret not if you are a Verizon customer. Today a new FCC filing points to the distinct probability that Verizon will be getting a version of this concoction. A new variant of the Samsung Galaxy camera (version A3LEKGC120) just passed through its FCC testing phase complete with Verizon 4G LTE radio bands.

The question remains as to whether this device will make it out before the holidays. With only a scant few weeks until Christmas, it would be difficult, but not impossible...

Source: TalkAndroid

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm sure the device targets some people but I just don't get it. I dunno, maybe a good device for a high school student or something.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would honestly love this camera hybrid, imagine the quality of Instagram pics I could take!!!!

Seriously, I love cameras, and I think this is an awesome idea, and would buy one in a hear beat.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
At $500 I don't think many high school kids are buying. But it could be the best thing since caned beer for me. I do home inspections. There is a relatively new android app out for my inspection software. It allows me to do my inspections on a tablet, as opposed to a camera transferring to a laptop. But as most everyone knows, android phone/tablet cameras are far from ideal. Even worse for what I do.

I don't think I will be an early adopter, but I hope a camera with android, holds out to be better than an android with a camera.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Sounds like there are some good uses. As for high school students, I'm the IT guy for a high school and you have no idea the tech students walk around with. iPhone 5s, new Android phones and yes, even laptops.

I love cameras too, but I've moved up into DSLRs and have the cable and app to hook my DSLR up to my phone and control it from there. I haven't done it yet since I have two young kids taking up most of my spare time, but it works great for time lapse photography.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Sounds like there are some good uses. As for high school students, I'm the IT guy for a high school and you have no idea the tech students walk around with. iPhone 5s, new Android phones and yes, even laptops.

I love cameras too, but I've moved up into DSLRs and have the cable and app to hook my DSLR up to my phone and control it from there. I haven't done it yet since I have two young kids taking up most of my spare time, but it works great for time lapse photography.
iPhone5/Smartphones - most people have smart phones for one, and most teens have cell phones these days. I am not sure if this is a sell price but an iPhone5 is $200. So is a Droid Razr HD. I think $200 is a reasonable price for a phone, and I think alot of parents feel the same for the sake of being bale to reach there children when they want/need.

Laptops - well more and more schools are adapting laptops as required and replacing text books. Even if the school has not made the switch to digital text books, I can easily see some of the students who come from wealthy families having made the switch to digital.

So none of this surprises me, but a $500 camera is another story as most kids are going to be sufficient with posting crappy pixelated cell phone pictures while posing for the camera like an idiot. Furthermore, unless the kid is taking photography, and is really good at it, I don't think to many parents are going to be quick to invest $500 for a camera. It's not like that $500 guarantees them contact with there child at any time like a cell does.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I picked up the unlocked / international version of this camera and I am impressed with it...the think I like over the cell phone camera is the zoom lens...it has definitely been fun to play with.

Here is a great hands-on video of it in action...

[video=youtube;0SYMXxTNbUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0SYMXxTNbUc[/video]

xtor

Reaction score
After buying my wife a 2000- professional canon digital camera, this would be a nice option, we wouldn't have to lug around a camera bag, plus if she had this phone it would free up the amount of things carried on a trip, and she would always have a good camera with her, with three kids and one one the way this would be a great thing,so her with this camera phone and me with a note 2, we would have the best of three worlds, I'm very impressed with the the products Samsung is putting out, and I've always been a moto person, but i think moto's not keeping up, so I'll be switching to Samsung

point of origin

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a good example as to why when it comes to Android phones, Samsung usually have some of the best cameras. It's something that they do. Take a look at Samsung's website and see what they are involved in.

xtor

Reaction score
smalltowngirl13 said:
No, but it can do everything else that a phone can do - just not make calls.

No phone?, well it can't do anything phone does if it's not a phone.

8th Infantry division

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
:)...LOL...I will rephrase...the OS of the camera is much like that of the Android phone - you can check email, gTalk, browse the web, access the camera, etc - you are not able to make calls :)...

jseah

Reaction score
Is it really going to be priced at $500? I can't see spending that kind of money when a comparable point and shoot digital camera without the Android functionality can sell for between $100-$150. And is it WiFi only? Or will you have access to data over the cellular network?