New User

weihs

Reaction score
New to DROID, and smart phone, my DROID has arrived today (vis FedEx), can't wait to get out of work and play with it!

Any suggestions on what to do first? Root it? Back it up? Install every app I can find?

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
New to DROID, and smart phone, my DROID has arrived today (vis FedEx), can't wait to get out of work and play with it!

Any suggestions on what to do first? Root it? Back it up? Install every app I can find?

Whoa, weihs! Welcome to the forum. Why not try to get to know the stock phone before you go rooting it? Besides, if it comes with 2.1 preinstalled, you'll have a bit of a wait to root anyway. You'll find this to be a very friendly place full of great people and information! The possibilities are endless for customization for that Droid, even when it's stock, so read, read, and read some more. You'll be amazed at how much you can teach yourself by reading the threads here in the forum! Enjoy that new toy and try to remember to eat and sleep every now and then!

Here's a good one about app recommendations.

Forget the top 5, list ALL of your apps :welcome:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum. I don't usually tell anybody to root on the same day they get their Droid but I don't believe any new phone comes stock with 2.1 yet. If you've done all your homework and feel comfortable about doing it, you probably want to do it before install of 2.1 which isn't rooted yet.

You should have a couple of days. Maybe the first day do as AnneDroid suggested.

OP
W

weihs

Reaction score

Whoa, weihs! Welcome to the forum. Why not try to get to know the stock phone before you go rooting it? Besides, if it comes with 2.1 preinstalled, you'll have a bit of a wait to root anyway. You'll find this to be a very friendly place full of great people and information! The possibilities are endless for customization for that Droid, even when it's stock, so read, read, and read some more. You'll be amazed at how much you can teach yourself by reading the threads here in the forum! Enjoy that new toy and try to remember to eat and sleep every now and then!

Here's a good one about app recommendations.

Forget the top 5, list ALL of your apps :welcome:

AnneDroid,

Thanks, I'd seen the 'Top 5' thread and made my app wish list, but hadn't seen the 'All apps' one, will take a look.

I'll take your advice and not root (immediately, anyway).

OP
W

weihs

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum. I don't usually tell anybody to root on the same day they get their Droid but I don't believe any new phone comes stock with 2.1 yet. If you've done all your homework and feel comfortable about doing it, you probably want to do it before install of 2.1 which isn't rooted yet.

You should have a couple of days. Maybe the first day do as AnneDroid suggested.

Thanks Hook,

You correctly surmised why I was thinking about rooting immediately. At your suggestion and that of AnneDroid, I will give it a day or two (and do a little more reading first). Worst case is that I have to restore to pre 2.1, right?

weihs

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey, you can do whatever you feel comfortable with, I've just seen new folks root the first day and then have trouble with the basics down the road. Do whatever feels right to you! You know where we are if you need some help...:D

VolDroid

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. I'm fairly new myself. I lurk more than I post only because someone usually beets me to the answer. I've had my Droid for a little over a month and am just now deciding to root it. I'd also recommend getting used to the basics first before rooting. At least then you a bit more about what you are looking at and what everyone else is talking about. Just my 2 cents but again...welcome, plenty of smart people in here to help.