New unlocked XT862 coming to Canada

hematose

Reaction score
So I bit the bullet and got one of these:

NEW MOTOROLA DROID 3 UNLOCKED VERIZON XT862 ANDROID | eBay

Expensive, I know. It's coming in a few days. I plan to activate it on Koodo Mobile in Canada (subsidiary of Telus, operates CDMA (probably not going to work) and HSPA with SIM).

Koodo has instructions for setting up the new APN and MMS services and has confirmed that the phone should work on their network if it's unlocked.

Before buying it off E-bay, I was thinking about getting one through Verizon via a family member in Seattle and getting it officially unlocked, but the VZ guy told me that "they don't unlock phones" and that if I wanted it unlocked, I'd have to contact Motorola at 1 800 331 6456 (in case that helps anyone). That sounded dubious, so I went with one that was supposed to be unlocked off Ebay instead.

So I have some questions: as a person who is new to smartphones (but still a pretty techy guy in general), what cool stuff should I do with it?

I've heard that the phone is locked out of working on GSM networks in the US, but what if I want to roam from Canada (with my Canadian SIM) when I travel in the US. Will it work? Would I be better off buying Pay-as-you-go service from VZ in the US when I'm there? Will it switch to CDMA and roam via VZ's network?

Any experiences that you have had would be interesting to hear!

leobg

Reaction score
You will be fine. You did a smart thing to order the phone unlocked. Verizon tends to change unlock codes on these handsets and this could be a real pain.

Phone will work fine on GSM/HSPA on Telus/Koodo MMS might be an issue (if D3 is like my D2G and it very much is AFAIK). Some things like call forwarding will not work. If you want to change call forwarding settings, you will have to do that from another phone or via the customer service (verizon disabled call forwarding if outside their network)
In the US you will not be able to use the phone on GSM. Neither you can roam on CDMA unless you activate the phone with Verizon. I doubt you can activate this handset on Telus/Koodo CDMA as they do not allow foreign MEID (ESN) activations.
Advice - if you travel to the States, bring another handset with you.
You probably should have gone with Bell Motorola XT860 which is the same phone, but without the CDMA radio and all the restrictions Verizon implemented.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
H

hematose

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

Is HSPA going to work the same as GSM in the US?

Maybe I will buy an XT860 just in case.

In which case, I'd be looking to sell the unlocked XT862. Any takers? I'll be able to confirm the unlock with a Canadian SIM in about a week when I get it.

Has anyone tried roaming in the US with a Canadian (or other country's) SIM on an XT862? Does anyone have access to a foreign SIM and an unlocked XT862 they could try it with?

leobg

Reaction score
GSM/HSPA will not work in US no matter what SIM is inside.

gierso

Reaction score
GSM/HSPA will not work in US no matter what SIM is inside.

I can confirm that with mexico's TELCEL GSM sim does not work in USA.
Neither you can activate cdma with a prepaid plan($2 unlimited calls a day)number without having to also get the smartphone internet unlimited $30 for a month plan

I ended buying the cheapest phone on store which was a samsung GUSTO for $47
Next time I go I will try to transfer that number to my D3 without data plan... o at least transfer with the plan. But only for those $30

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
H

hematose

Reaction score
New plan: I keep the XT862 and buy another HSPA phone from Koodo (an LG Optimus Chat basically for free). I should be able to use the SIM in my XT862 most of the time and put it in the LG phone only when I cross the border no?