New TV Option

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Hey guys, I took the liberty to help my parents find a new LED or LCD television, seeing our 37" Panasonic Viera Plasma series from 2005 finally kicked-the-bucket, colors going bats, you-name-it. Suggestion between Panasonic and Sony, based on TV lifespan and failure rate? I work in electronics sales/distribution and I understand meantime-between-failure and convection cooling and such, so I'd want some input in what brand I should go for and TV type. My gut says go with Panasonic Viera LED 37-42" based on build-quality, failure rate, and expected color lifespan. Keep in mind, I am also limited by diagonal width, as my entertainment furniture is not wide enough to support a 65" monster. Hit me up guys, I can use some help here!:icon_eek:

sniperf250

Reaction score
Sharp quattron 40" beautiful colors and led

Sent from my DROID RAZR in blue! using Droid Forums

JRParsons

Reaction score
I've never had a Panasonic product I've been happy with, and I've found Sony relatively disappointing in the last few years. Prior to the advent of the flat screens I would only buy Sony's. I now go almost exclusively with Samsung, unless it's for a room I don't use so much, in which case I go with whatever the best deal at Costco is. As of now, I have 3 Samsungs, a Vizio and some no name brand. The 3 Samsungs are in my "public" rooms, the others are in bedrooms. Personally I find no one comes close to the picture quality of the Samsung. I tried to talk my neighbor into a non Panasonic tv, but he was shopping more with his wallet, he has had nothing but problems. I got my first 52 inch Samsung in 2005/2006 and people often say it is the best picture they have ever seen on a tv. It is only a 6 series. There tv's impressed me so much that I ended up getting one of there refrigerators when I needed one. I have to say that I have been very happy with my Samsung products (except my Stratosphere, which was super slow). The Vizio was super cheap and has been a real solid tv also. (its in my bedroom, I think it is 46 inches and I paid 499).

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I personally have 4 Sony TVs in my home. Always been a fan of Sony and only my personal one had a t-con board fry after about 4years. Replaced it for about $250 and its good as new and I watch ALOT of TV. Its on at least a good 15-18hrs a day if I'm home most of the day. Its either me watching TV or playing games.

Although I am a fan of Sony I have to say Samsung has surpassed Sony in screen quality the last 2yrs. Their colors are just more accurate but Sony has improved greatly as well. Just bought an LED TV from Sony and I love it, but I came down to Sony or Samsung and oddly the Sony was just a tad bit cheaper at the time and had a better overall look imo.

I bought a vizio and Westinghouse awhile back and both crapped out before a year. Never getting those two brands again.

Nexus using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have 3 vizios, all work great... who knows though :)

OP
jpiarull

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Went to Costco last night and picked up 47" LG Led 3D. Came with 6 pairs of 3D glasses for $899. After some modifications to the entertainment furniture got to fit...with a 1/4" clearance on the width no less. Picture is crystal-clear and bright. Only question is is it worth it to repair the TV screen that burned out? It's an LCD not a plasma after doing research.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well what exactly burned out on your older tv? Mine was a t-con board as I suspected after a bit of online research and I just took it to a tv repair shop. Because I pretty much diagnosed the problem for them, they knocked down the price to just part and labor.