New to the Droid World!

shep938

Reaction score
Hello all! I just ordered my first smartphone..Motorola Droid X2..and it should arrive tomorrow. I was looking at the Droid Charge, but 4G is not in my area yet.(Steeler Country- Pittsburgh, PA) So a 3G phone would be the best fit for me. I would appreciate any tricks or tips anybody has abouts apps, battery life or anything. Thanks and keep on Droidn'

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I just ordered my first smartphone..Motorola Droid X2..and it should arrive tomorrow. I was looking at the Droid Charge, but 4G is not in my area yet.(Steeler Country- Pittsburgh, PA) So a 3G phone would be the best fit for me. I would appreciate any tricks or tips anybody has abouts apps, battery life or anything. Thanks and keep on Droidn'

:welcome: to the Droid Forums.

Since this is your first smartphone I think it's a good idea to keep in mind that they are not computers. They can do some amazing things, and of course things like navigation that a computer can't do. But don't expect the internet to be as fast.

I frequently tell people that have not had a smart phone that they fail to realize how marvelous an Android phone is compared to something like a Blackberry. Now compared to those Android is absolutely amazing.

Don't install any antivirus or task managers, even if the reps at a store say so. They only know what the computer tells them and that is bad information. First app I recommend you install is Screebl. There is a video that comes with it. That will keep your screen from going out when you're working with it.

All smart phones suck up a lot of battery. I suggest either an extended battery if you're a heavy user or a spare battery and charger. If you get it on a day off you may use the battery up in a matter of hours. This is normal, and when you learn to use it on a regular basis your battery life will not be so short. I usually end up at 50% from the time I get up but if I use it a lot, like yesterday, I was down to 5% by end of day.

Listen to the people who have been around the forum a while. We are not experts and my post count doesn't make me the smartest person in the forum, it just means I spend a lot of time here. There are plenty of people with less time overall who are more knowledgeable then me. And not every new person is without knowledge. But your best advice will come from people who have been here a while.

Have fun with it. If you start having any issues talk to us about it. We are here to help.

-hook

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Good to have you with us. My colleague, Hookbill, gave you great advice. Enjoy your stay.

Mike