New to Droid!

adamd81

Reaction score
Just got a Droid two weeks ago and LOVE IT!!! I'm coming from about 5 years of windows mobile... what a waste of a data plan. I should be shot for sticking with it for so long! Anyway, absolutely love droid! dancedroid
Question:

The biggest frustration im having with it is, what i think is called, "forced" closing of apps. If i have my browser up and jump to my contacts it closed the browser. If im running an app and go back or hit home to jump to another program it closes out the previous program. I used to with windows mobile be able to have multiple programs running and going to a task manager and switch between them and they not close unless i close it. So, am i missing something or is this just how it is? any non-root programs i can run to have it not close my programs?

Thanks in advance for the help!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Sorry you are having issues with force closures. If you installed a task killer remove it. Typically, they cause more problems than they solve. The Android OS does a great job of handling multiple tasks.

If you do not have a task killer remove the last two or three apps that you installed. If that resolves the FC's then begin reinstalling the apps one at time. Wait for a day or so to see if everything works well. If so, add another app. If not remove that particular app.

Hope this helps.

Mike

OP
A

adamd81

Reaction score
Welcome! Sorry you are having issues with force closures. If you installed a task killer remove it. Typically, they cause more problems than they solve. The Android OS does a great job of handling multiple tasks.

If you do not have a task killer remove the last two or three apps that you installed. If that resolves the FC's then begin reinstalling the apps one at time. Wait for a day or so to see if everything works well. If so, add another app. If not remove that particular app.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I do not have a task killer. I did install a good 20 or so apps in the past week. With what your saying, Is the FC's due to to many apps running so it closes them out? I check the running services and i only see a few things running and never the programs im running. Or is it some apps cause problems with the OS and cause stuff to close? Also, when switching between apps should i always use the home key instead of back?

Thanks for your quick response!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Do you notice a consistency with the app/apps being force closed? Basically, are most apps force closing or just a few? Which ones?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hope this helps.

Mike

I do not have a task killer. I did install a good 20 or so apps in the past week. With what your saying, Is the FC's due to to many apps running so it closes them out? I check the running services and i only see a few things running and never the programs im running. Or is it some apps cause problems with the OS and cause stuff to close? That is my sense.

Also, when switching between apps should i always use the home key instead of back? It should not matter.

Thanks for your quick response!

Sorry for the poor communication.

I'm thinking that one of the apps is causing the FC's. The only way to confirm and identify the culprit it to remove any app that has been recently installed.

OP
A

adamd81

Reaction score
Well, I feel like its been with all the programs. There has been a few times where id be on Google maps, or email, etc and have get a number out of contacts or calculator and so on and then trying to return to the app i was originally working on and its been closed out and i have to start over.

Being new to android was wondering if i was switching between them wrong or it just wasn't possible for them to keep running. I'll uninstall my apps and slowly start putting them on. Then again i might just need some time to figure out how to make my way around my phone.

oh, and the google navigation. Today i was using the navigation GPS and back out to my contacts and when i went back to navigation i had to find the address all over again.

Stigidy

Reaction score
My phone has been force closing...

My Motorola Droid has been Force Closing - first it started just with the text messages then with the camera, then with the GPS, then with the Contacts and now it's ALL the time no matter what I am doing. If I just turn the phone on it sends a Force close message. I have NO TASK KILLER - NO APP that is doing this. I have deleted about everything!! I HAVE SENT A TON OF REPORTS - BUT I THINK THEY GO TO NO ONE!!!!

I DON'T NO WHAT THE PROBLEM IS BUT IT IS GETTING ON MY NERVES!!!!

I know my daughter had the very first iPhone & her phone starting doing something like this because Apple said all 1st generations would slowly go out forcing everyone to have to purchase newer iPhones. I hope this is NOT an effort on ANDROID markets to get us to buy a newer Droid phone. Cause if it is - It ain't happenin!! I will go to a different type of phone all-together if that is how it goes down.
:reddroid:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Typically, I would advise removing a task killer but you do not have one. My next suggestion would be to remove any home screen launcher.

Hope you are able t resolve.

Mike