New to Droid & the Droid Forum

tfishow

Reaction score
I just got a Motorola Droid and my wife got a Droid Eris. I've learned that each phone has it's pluses and each has some minuses. Basically, I like both and I like the operating system. I'm a little disappointed about how Bluetooth earphones work right now and am hoping that will be corrected soon.

I have been a Google apps user for several years (Gmail, Contacts,Calendar, Tasks) so I like the ability to sync everything to my phone. On the Eris it's possible to send an email to a Gmail distribution list. I haven't found a way to do this with the Motorola Droid. Is there a way to use distribution lists from this phone? I am using the Gmail app that came with the phone.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly I am not sure what a distribution list is that you speak of. But :welcome: to the Forums!

I will have to do some research on this and get back to you! In the meantime, what phone did you come from and what do you like best about your new Droid?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome:
As to the contacts group if you're looking for something to allow you to send emails and/or txts to 'groups' there is an app called Contact GroupU that is pretty good. You can create 'group' via the online Google Contacts but there is yet a way to access those groups from the email contact area.

Also you should check out the k-9 mail app. It adds a bit of functionality that the default app lacks and is, IMHO a better/easier experience.

Edit: and Contact GroupU DOES work with k-9. Also k-9 will allow you an infinite signature block (for posting a legal disclaimer ect.) and allow you to respond/forward email w/o including the original email (all features lacking in the default gmail app).

OP
T

tfishow

Reaction score
Distribution lists are actually called "Groups" in Gmail and are found on the "Contacts" page. It's a great and very useful feature. It's something I need since I send emails to groups of people in my ministry.

My previous phone was the LG ENV2, the best phone I'd ever had until the Droid. I like the Droid because now I don't have to carry around a Palm Pilot for my calendar, contacts, tasks, Documents to Go, quick games, music, etc., etc. Pluse, the Droid does other things like online browsing, Facebook, etc. that were always just "nice to haves" but are now necessities.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome, welcome, welcome! I don't have much call for e-mailing groups of people, so I can't help with your issue, but there's plenty of help to be found around here, so I'm sure someone can answer your question ASAP!

OP
T

tfishow

Reaction score
Got my answer

Well, it sure didn't take any time at all for someone to come up with an answer that addresses 90% of what I need which is probably good enough. The app "Contacts GroupU" allows me to use the groups from Gmail on my Droid to select the email addresses from the people in that group and then to kick off the Gmail app on my phone so I can send an email to everyone in that group. The only thing I can't do is forward an email to a distribution list because I must start the process of selecting a group in the Contacts GroupU app and to forward an email, I have to start in the Gmail app. But the biggest problem is solved. Thanks to everyone for your input.:icon_ banana: