New to Android

destinydmm

Reaction score
My name is Mike and am 25 yrs old. I consider myself to be some what of a tech geek but I am no programmer.

I am coming to Android from Windows Mobile :icon_ poke:. I did very well with XML, and Facade and other SBSH apps. I had the Moto Q & Q9c, HTC Touch & Mogul. I've worked with the Palm Centro, Treos, etc. I did very well with unlocking, hacking and customizing those phones.

But Android. . . . its a whole new beast :motdroidvert: to me. I hope to learn the lingo soon. I'm terrified to root :icon_eek:. I get it, but scared of it. I love my Droid :icon_ banana:, which is my first every Android phone. I have to say it is by far the best OS I have come in contact with. I hope to both learn & teach; help & be helped, as I roam this forum. Thanks in advance to all who will help me along this Android road.

UPDATE: As of 2/26/10 I am hooked!!!!
:iphone: + :blackberry: + :palm: = :icon_ ban:

Last edited:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome:

i was scared to death to root too....just do more reading on it and you'll eventually get the nerve up:D

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend the SM Updater app the sholes team (smart guys who provide a very stable 2.1 ROM) and its almost idiot proof. It does all the doity work for you.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the club.
Personally I recommend http://rootyourdroid.info/ they have GREAT, user-friendly, easy tutorials to get your feet wet and cover everything from rooting to OCing. Don't worry to much though, because the boot loader it's VERY HARD to screw up your phone (there has yet to be a single truly 'bricked' device confirmed) so whatever damage you may do will be recoverable. But with your experience I doubt you'll have to worry about it.

I highly recommend the SM Updater app the sholes team (smart guys who provide a very stable 2.1 ROM) and its almost idiot proof. It does all the doity work for you.

:rofl3: if only...... if there's one thing this forum has taught us, lol...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome aboard! I'm on my second Android device. (Bought the G1 on T-mobile when Android debuted).

I haven't rooted either, mostly because I haven't really seen anything that I can't live without. I'm DEFINITELY more into the Android community now with the Droid though (never joined a G1 forum...)

OP
destinydmm

destinydmm

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I have rootyourdroid.info bookmarked as well as the thread for the Sholes app. I haven't seen too many ROMs that all have what I want together. Also like Johnny, the changes I want to make are small. I.E. removal/renaming of stock apps, live wallpapers and multi touch. MT is being released OTA, just got maps & gallery, and waiting for Browser, any minute now lol. Live wallpapers I hear eats the battery more than ever (I already need to buy another charger, battery and battery charger *sigh*).
So that leaves me with the stock apps. . . . its alot for just this one thing. I don't really get over-clocking (I guess it'll run faster?), but I do get that it can over heat the phone which in turn can destroy chips w/in the phone.
Plus I hear of ROMs with certain functions not working, like GPS, or sync, etc.

Pretty much I just want my shiny new Droid to be shinier!!!! :bling: LOL

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Come on guys, just a little hit. You won't get addicted or anything. I promise!!:icon_ devil:

The ONLY reason to root is to overclock. Just remember, anything worth doing is worth overdoing!!:)

OP
destinydmm

destinydmm

Reaction score
WOW! I must say that I have come a long way from my first OP here. Like I now know what OP means, lol. But I have progressed alot since getting the OG Droid back in '09 and joining DF.net in early 2010.

I have been a tester for Dark Edge - a UI that is yet to have any other ROM or theme equal its buzz & beauty - IMHO. I've joined XDA, Cyanogen, MDW, Rootzwiki forums. I have rooted some many phones both personal and for friends (& for $_$). OG Droids, D2, DX, G1, Cliq, Galaxy S (all versions), EVO 4G, Dinc 1 + 2, HD2, and so many more. Which means I am somewhat comfortable with ADB, I've saved SOOOO many phones (mostly mine) with sbf's its not even funny.

I hope that I have been able to help people with their Android phones 1% as much as the community has helped me. I only hope to learn more and contiune to grow and share in this developing and emerging community.

Thank you to all who have helped me directly and indirectly with your threads, posts, advice and links.

Three cheers for Andy!!! :yahoo:dancedroid:yahoo: