new text conversation

Carolyn in Illinois

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG L39C
I am new to the Android world and hope this is the place to get educated. My biggest problem is....How do I start a new text conversation with someone in my contacts? If I try to send a text ALL the previous "stuff" to and from that person in included. Is there a way to start a new one?
Hope this makes sense. Oh, I have an LG L39C phone.
TIA

TatDroid

Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you're trying to do. Text messages are only sent one at a time, but they're sorted on your phone by recipient. So yes, all messages sent and received to a single person are in the same thread. How would you rather have them sorted and stored?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Is this your first smartphone?

AFAIK, all smartphone devices do text messages with threads that save all messages. There are settings where the phone can delete old messages after a certain limit is hit, but only way I can think of is to do it manually by highlighting each thread and just deleting it when you're done.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember when switching from the old way to threaded. Golly I loathed threaded messages until I got used to it.
Yes it does appear as though the entire conversation was sent but take a look right after you tap send and you should see some sort of little icon beside the text that is sending. If you tap out a long one you might see it split into multiple messages and the icon beside the number of messages it split into. If it split into 2 you'll see 2 icons that disappear once they are both sent.
Hope that helps.
If you've ever used the old Instant Messaging on a computer or had an online chat with a technical support, the threaded text message works the same way, basically showing the history of the entire conversation.
If you are having a bug where it is indeed sending the entire conversation over again may I suggest a free app called Handcent for texting and under its settings check the prevent resend option.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum Carolyn!
It looks like these guys have you pointed in the right direction. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns we can help you with.

tap'n on my S5

P

promo87

I am new to the Android world and hope this is the place to get educated. My biggest problem is....How do I start a new text conversation with someone in my contacts? If I try to send a text ALL the previous "stuff" to and from that person in included. Is there a way to start a new one?
Hope this makes sense. Oh, I have an LG L39C phone.
TIA

Well, you can do that by opening the contacts and if you look closely just side to the number there is a message icon tap over it and next conversation is automatically created.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Think of it the way you're seeing posts on this forum setup. They're threaded. The ones you have already sent are there for future reference. Just like this forum post. Your first post is your message. And we reply. Then when you reply it'll put your post at the very bottom. Just like the threaded messages on your phone. Hope this helps

popoyez

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone5
if i am not wrong, you are talking about getting old messages quoted, like we receive in emails.... right ?