New Software Update? Will I lose my root?

Randy72560

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have my phone rooted, and I keep getting a notification prompting me to update my phones software. I have the Voodoo OTA app that supposed to keep my phone rooted? Not sure how it works, but I don't want to lose my root if its updated.

Has the new software update is:

98.72.165.en.US

Has someone already Jail broke this new one? Just wanted to check before I updated and in case the OTA ting didn't work. Last update I had a Bionic, and ended up having to just get a new phone I could JB :)

GotnFX

Reaction score
Any idea? Thanks in advance

Temp unroot in voodoo. Which should make a back up. Update os and restore back up in voodoo. If you lose root, it can be regained by following the method you used to root originally. It isn't an update to kitkat. I am assuming you have a regular RAZR droid maxx and not the maxx HD. Just checking, as I see people posting in here that have the HD.

jp233

Reaction score
Read the other posts- but in short;

Yes, use Voodoo and create a su backup, then temp-unroot. Then apply the Verizon update, and once it's complete, go back into Voodoo and restore root. It worked perfectly on my RAZR. I did uninstall Voodoo afterwards, because Supersu was giving me errors about updating the binary. So I think voodoo and supersu were fighting over the root :)

This is still jellybean, just a bug fix and some improvements to the radio s/w apparently. It does fix the master key bug, at least that's what bluebox is telling me.

OP
Randy72560

Randy72560

Reaction score
Perfect, meant to post back a couple weeks ago. Used vodoo, super simple, and super easy! You guys rock!

rzap

Reaction score
I also used voodoo temp unroot and tried to install the new update, but it gets halfway through the installation and the i get the dreaded sideways android with triangle over him lol, i wonder if it craps out because i un-installed all the bloatware, if thats it, im not going to re-install it all just for a bug update, btw, is jb 4.1.2 the latest firmware for the razr maxx?

rzap

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply and the link