New Rumor Suggests Google Will Launch Their Own Retail Stores Soon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-sign-9.jpg

Some new rumors surfaced late Friday night that Google may be getting ready to pull the trigger on a new retail store chain. It seems that Google has been paying attention to Apple's success with their own stores, and would like to duplicate that to boost Android even further. Supposedly, Google is ready to open Google retail stores very soon across the US in several major metros. The primary focus of these stores will be the Nexus devices as well as Google Chrome devices. It is also possible Google plans to debut their new Motorola X Phone in these retail chains later on in the year.

Most of the industry speculation from analysts and pundits is that now is a perfect time for Google to do precisely this. What do you think? Will a series of physical Google Play Stores actually help Google boost Android?

Source: TechCrunch

Last edited by a moderator:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I believe it will help. It will allow Google to push their own devices and software to the public, since they would know exactly what they're talking about, instead of letting a third party like Best Buy or a phone carrier try to sell it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting considering Android is dominating phones and on its way in tablets. How much of a boost could they really get from stores? Unless it's more about preserving market share.

It was probably inevitable, but I don't think some of their partners like Google getting into making their own products.

riko540

Reaction score
This will hopefully help their product launches as well.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Excellent idea! Plus it will be nice to see a tech store where their patrons believe in bathing more than once a month..................

swc2001

Reaction score
Well this would definitely put them one step closer to having their own carrier as well.... I would Love that!! DOWN WITH VERIZON!!!!!! :D

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well this would definitely put them one step closer to having their own carrier as well.... I would Love that!! DOWN WITH VERIZON!!!!!! :D

maybe they'll just buy all of VZW towers and summarily execute the entire upper management of Verizon.

we can all dream right:D;)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I see more ingress portals in our future.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan to me. Consumers will be that much more informed about the goodness of Android devices and contract-free, fair price handsets.

Customer: So you don't offer any new phones for under $500 why?
VZ Management: Herp a derp, derp...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google store... I think it will work better if they just had a google section in best buy. I do not see a google store staying open too long because people are not going to buy enough google devices to keep the stores open resulting in stores closing and loss of jobs. Instead of wasting money and building a store why not just put them in already open and established best buy stores.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Google store... I think it will work better if they just had a google section in best buy. I do not see a google store staying open too long because people are not going to buy enough google devices to keep the stores open resulting in stores closing and loss of jobs. Instead of wasting money and building a store why not just put them in already open and established best buy stores.

Because Best Buy is on its last leg as is.

If they put them in key large markets they will do fine. Don't try and be like Starbucks and be on every corner.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Because Best Buy is on its last leg as is.

If they put them in key large markets they will do fine. Don't try and be like Starbucks and be on every corner.

Good point and that is where best buy went wrong they have too many stores. They have basically become starbucks where almost every mall has a best buy. Add to that amazon has been killing them. But now that states are requring people to pay taxes on amazon purchases (Tennessee started that last year with more states to come) best buy has a chance if they lean out. As far as google I see your point. Since they will still have the play store to sell their products they do not have to open a store everywhere just in key locations like new york and la.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good point and that is where best buy went wrong they have too many stores. They have basically become starbucks where almost every mall has a best buy. Add to that amazon has been killing them. But now that states are requring people to pay taxes on amazon purchases (Tennessee started that last year with more states to come) best buy has a chance if they lean out. As far as google I see your point. Since they will still have the play store to sell their products they do not have to open a store everywhere just in key locations like new york and la.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Is frustrating, the sales tax thing... Don't you only pay sales tax if it's stocked or warehoused in the state you buy it in though. It's complete bs that's states are doing that.

Don't leave seattle and somewhere southeast out either

Sent from my sickeningly sweet RAZR MAXX.