New Robert Downey Jr. HTC Commercial is Cringeworthy

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;mgytZ6bTmSQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgytZ6bTmSQ[/video]​

The above video shows that even if you are an enormously popular, successful and award winning actor, that doesn't necessarily mean everything you do will turn out well. In fact, sometimes the best performers can still turn in "cringeworthy" performances. Of course, sometimes the actor is limited by a bad script or bad director, but that may not be the case here.

In the above example, Robert Downey Jr. is back with another HTC ad. It actually seems like it was mostly improved from a loose script. It also looks like they probably did several takes to try and get it right, but eventually just gave up and called it a day. If this is HTC's way of getting their money's worth out of RDJ, then they need to hire better writers and come up with much better ideas than this.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I don't know about taking several takes. It almost looks like they caught him on the way to the John, stuck a phone in his hand, held up a queue card, and said "Just adlib something"

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Yep. They probably just said "...we're sending a camera and sound guy over to you, it'll take 15 minutes. Just hit the bullets I texted to you and deliver something Robert Downey-ey."

And what you get is a celebrity telling you to do something he was paid to say.

Just who is this supposed to influence?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Captain America and the HTC One

Im guessing this is how this went:

Marvel: HTC is paying us a boat load to advertise their phones so we going to need you to do a commercial for them.

RDJ: Who?

Marvel: HTC, the people who make smartphones.

RDJ: (pulling out an iphone) hmm my phone has an apple logo on it.

Marvel: It's like an iphone just bigger with a horrible camera.

RDJ: Look I really don't have time... can't you just find someone else?

Marvel: They throwing in a hefty bonus for you too

RDJ: (grabs phone) roll camera.

Caesars

Reaction score
That gave me a good chuckle.

Note 3 ~ 5s

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Pffft.

[video=youtube;HHoNQrxG_8M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoNQrxG_8M[/video]

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It certainly wasn't close to good, but VERY effective - they leverage RDJ to get you to watch HTC bragging about their awards.

Caesars

Reaction score
Apparently the best smartphone of the year wasn't the best to US consumers. O well I'm pulling for htc, I hope they can go up a few notches this year. If that m8 can match my note on screen time, I'm going to be tempted :).

Note 3 ~ 5s

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Apparently the best smartphone of the year wasn't the best to US consumers. O well I'm pulling for htc, I hope they can go up a few notches this year. If that m8 can match my note on screen time, I'm going to be tempted :).

Note 3 ~ 5s

TMobile gets the M8 on Friday and I plan on switching to the M8 from my Note 3. I'm a bit tired of TouchWiz. At the same time, when Moto gave a tease about a Moto X+1...I have been thinking about that phone too. I wonder what the specs are. I wish they'd release a few specs or something.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
It wasn't that bad but I still won't give up my note.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk