New Rear Notification LED Ring Coming To Samsung Devices

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-smart-glow-image.jpg

Some recent documents have been leaked regarding the upcoming Samsung Galaxy J2. They show off a new feature called Samsung Smart Glow. Essentially this is an LED ring that will notify you when your phone is face down. The LED ring in the image surrounds the camera and could potentially be helpful when taking rear facing selfies. This feature is not expected to land on the Note 7, but could possibly be included on the Galaxy S8. Who knows this feature may be relegated to the J series.

I for one would love a feature like this since my phone stays screen down most of the time. I have really enjoyed the edge notification for incoming calls, but it would be even better to have some sort of led indicator for all other types of notifications. Some might argue they turn their phone face down to rid the annoyance an LED notification causes while trying to sleep.

What are your thoughts? Is a rear facing notification LED something that would be helpful to you?

via SamMobile

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
This is a simple yet useful feature. If by some chance it were to make it to Note 7 it wouldnt be totally missed for an Edge Variant with Edge Notifications.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why they ever got rid of these things... my first cellphone the LG vx8100 had an outside light and notification thing for unread text messages. I loved it. I wish more phones had something like this.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as I can turn it off I like it. Gmail has no option to turn the led off on my Note2 and Note4, though I have the phone set to off for led. I HAVE to put the phone screen down at night to avoid the annoying blue light in the dark. Putting one on the back also would be a deal breaker for me until gmail gives me the ability to not have a light up reminder.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Actually when I went from a Note 3 to the LG V10, the LED notification light is the only feature I still miss. I would love that feature on my phone again.

Batman8

Reaction score
I keep all of my phones on vibrate and rarely lay them face down, so I am not interested in such a feature unless it can be turned off.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Rear? So people you're sitting across from at the table you're not talking to can tell you have a notification. Oh wait they'd have to look up from their phones too.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
As long as it can be turned off it's fine. My led never bothers me at night, and I keep my phone face up to see if anything new has come in. Also, as long as it's handled the right way. The white flashing led on iPhones is ridiculously annoying.