New RAZR won't connect to home WiFi

thc1967

Reaction score
My home WiFi has been up and running for a long time. Three laptops and 2 phones already connect to it. I'm pretty sure the issue isn't with my router.

I've tried cycling through the various security settings: WPA2, WEP, even open just to test it out.

The RAZR detects the network and lets me put in a password, but then it constantly cycles between detecting connecting, and disconnected.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

SallyC

Reaction score
Is it doing this while active or after a period of sitting?

Have you checked if your router needs updating?

Have you tried unplugging your router? I know it works with your other devices, but I have seen this correct buggy connections before.

EDIT: One more question. Does it do this with other networks?

OP
T

thc1967

Reaction score
Is it doing this while active or after a period of sitting? Both

Have you checked if your router needs updating? Last firmware update was 2008 (old router but it still works so hey...) and it's applied.

Have you tried unplugging your router? I know it works with your other devices, but I have seen this correct buggy connections before. Yep.

EDIT: One more question. Does it do this with other networks? Have not had a chance to try. Will try at work on Monday.

In other news, both my Motorola phones won't connect - OG Droid and now the RAZR.

But my Sony Viao laptop, Dell laptop, Macbook, iPhone 4, and a Samsung Android phone all connect without issue.

EDIT: And now my RAZR decides to make a liar out of me and connects. WTF. Anyway... Thanks?

SallyC

Reaction score
In other news, both my Motorola phones won't connect - OG Droid and now the RAZR.

But my Sony Viao laptop, Dell laptop, Macbook, iPhone 4, and a Samsung Android phone all connect without issue.

EDIT: And now my RAZR decides to make a liar out of me and connects. WTF. Anyway... Thanks?

HA! Like making a doctor appointment and on the day you are to go, you feel better.

I know you probably don't like to think about replacing your router, but it's possible that it's the problem. I had something similar with a router that worked fine with everything until my cable company upgraded my connection speed. Suddenly things would work fine, then stop, then work, then stop. The cable company swore it had nothing to do with what they changed - and maybe it was just a coincidence - but as soon as I replaced the router everything worked fine. I spent less than $100 on the new router and more than $100 of my time trying to fix it before I got the router.

If the problem comes back, and if your phone will connect fine at a Starbucks or Panera, I'd try getting another router. If it doesn't make a difference, most places will let you return it.

But I'm glad it's working for you now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I know you probably don't like to think about replacing your router, but it's possible that it's the problem.

Agreed. Some routers have a hard time with authenticating too many wireless devices at once, some have issues with IP conflicts - again due to too many devices or due to devices which don't follow the 802.11 protocol to the letter. An upgrade of the router may very well be the easiest and most effective correction.

To see if the above is the problem, disconnect all other devices from the wireless router (both wired and wireless), power cycle the router then try to connect with the phones. If it works fine after multiple attempts, there's your problem.

msblueline

Reaction score
Try seeing if you have an allowance on your router.

I have mine set for only allowing five guest on at a time and then I also have the regualr settings for my computer and phone and whatever else I might have.

See if it could just be a admin issue rather than a technical issue.

msblueline

Kimo91

Reaction score
Also depends how old your router is. My Razr wouldn't connect to my router even after getting a new SIM card. Finally caved in and bought a new router and bam, it connected just fine. FYI my router was 3 years old when I tried to connect to it

Sent from my Rooted and Safestrapped Moto DROID RAZR

clindsay1108

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new to the forum's so please be easy on me. I just bought my razr and I can connect to my home Wi-Fi but it continues to disconnect itself. I have a VIZIO XWR100 Dual-Band HD Wireless Internet Router. I run my laptop, my Touchpad, and my wireless Sony TV just fine. I am confused as to why this is happening. Please help. Thank you.

ascreen06

Reaction score
if you've got the mac filtering feature enabled on ur router you've got to go in and input ur phones mac address in for the router to give the phone access...that was my prob...took me 8 hours to remember/ figure it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

wcjeep

Reaction score
As previously mentioned check your router firmware. Are you using N wireless? Does the Razr work with 2.5ghz And 5ghz? Can you login at Starbucks and McDonalds?

clindsay1108

Reaction score
I checked my MAC filtering and it's not on. I also checked to see if I had any firm wear updates and do not.

I can connect to my wifi network at work with out a problem.

Any other sugguestions? Or places I need to check?

SallyC

Reaction score
How old is your router? Hate to say it, but alot of times that's it. Try unplugging it and see if it works after a reboot. Otherwise I'd try another one.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I've been having wifi issues with my razor too. Might be my router since no problems at work. Which router would you guys recommend to work good with razor

SallyC

Reaction score
I have a linksys but only because it worked well with my ISP. Buy one where you can return it if there are problems.

brobox

Reaction score
Same thing happened to a friend of mine with an old "g" router, his new Razr would not connect. Took my spare "n" router over to his house, hooked it up and his Razr took right off.