New OTA update (Gmail update)..will it erase root?

RenegadeX28

Reaction score
Been getting that OTA update for Gmail lately. I've been picking "Install Later", but as you know, that notification keeps popping up. I want the update to go away. My Droid is rooted as well. If I install this update, will it erase my root? If it does, is there some way to disable the update prompt?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
The Gmail update will not erase root as its only updating the Gmail app.

Now, if you are getting the OTA Update 2.3.340 message, then yes, that particular update will erase root. All you need to do to get root back is run z4root after updating to the new OTA OS version.

Tabs

Reaction score
Is there a way to get the new update yet if you have SPRecovery as your bootloader? I tried installing the OTA but it failed. (assuming because it knows that the update is for Droids with the standard bootloader)

OP
R

RenegadeX28

Reaction score

Now, if you are getting the OTA Update 2.3.340 message, then yes, that particular update will erase root. All you need to do to get root back is run z4root after updating to the new OTA OS version.

The update that it wants to install is for the Droid, FRG83D (it updates Twitter, News and Weather, etc). Will Z4root be able to root that update as well?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sadly no but Ryan is working on it.

The update that it wants to install is for the Droid, FRG83D (it updates Twitter, News and Weather, etc). Will Z4root be able to root that update as well?

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
R

RenegadeX28

Reaction score
Gah, just gonna have to keep clearing the messages...

Darryl Richey

Reaction score
You can still re-root, just can't use z4. I'd recommend Motocache1's guide.

If I can Root this way anyone can. Just have to follow the directions closely. Plus all the folks on here walked me through when or if I had trouble.

Darryl

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
You can still re-root, just can't use z4. I'd recommend Motocache1's guide.

Gah, just gonna have to keep clearing the messages...

DroidForums junkie!!

MR..MR.
umm, as of right now i unrooted my phone, so i can update to the new OTA...
and that was one of the questions i was iching to ask...
do you mine postin a link to the thread to Motocache1's guide..
i'm on the Droid X...

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
Is there a way to get the new update yet if you have SPRecovery as your bootloader? I tried installing the OTA but it failed. (assuming because it knows that the update is for Droids with the standard bootloader)

i have the Droid X...and,
i have this problem also, but mine tries to install the update at first, then gets interrupted and goes into clockwork recovery...

i've unrooted my phone...
any suggestions would be awesome.....

thanks...