New Nexus 5 Rumor: Glass Back, No Back Buttons & Snapdragon 800 After-all

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus4_glass-rear.jpg

The hype-machine for the Nexus 5 is starting to kick on. Just yesterday we found a pretty juicy Nexus 5 rumor which shared several potentials about the upcoming device. This newer rumor both confirms and refutes a few things from the previous rumor. It also adds some new intel to the pile.

First, the new info confirms that LG will again be making the device, and that it will be partially based upon the G2. Where this new "news" differs is that the Nexus 5 will instead include the Snapdragon 800. This contradicts the Snapdragon 600 purported for the device yesterday. Additionally, yesterday we didn't know whether the Nexus 5 would come with the rear controls like the G2. According to today's rumor, the Nexus 5 will NOT have rear controls. Interestingly, it will supposedly have rear glass again like with the Nexus 4.

We must caution you to take both rumors with a grain of salt, although this one seems less plausible than the one from yesterday. This one seems more like Nexus fan-boy wishful thinking, which we can't blame anyone for (except the glass back is highly subjective). Either way, we will keep an eye on this and let you know how things if something gets confirmed.

Source: TalkAndroid

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Any device launched in the year 2013 with a S800 will be $600+ off contract. Just saying.

ferde-licking-salt-block.jpg

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
i don't understand why manufacturers want to make their phones more fragile with glass backing. i'd rather have a replaceable plastic back like on nexus or moto x.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
i don't understand why manufacturers want to make their phones more fragile with glass backing. i'd rather have a replaceable plastic back like on nexus or moto x.

Totally agree. HTC with with the aluminum back saying how cheap the S4 back was being polycarbonite (better than normal plastic, but thats not effective with marketing). I like the ability to buy a new one if it gets all scratched up. Also, it won't crack/shatter like glass. Look at all the iPhone owners to walk around with broken glass backs. Slick looking, sure but useful...nah.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering what other features they can add to a smartphone, then I saw a show on History channel with the solution: stun gun.

That would open-up a whole new spec race! Your dual-LED flash can output 30 lumens OR 50,000 volts

kinfolk248

Reaction score
1. Lets get more storage, this will be a 2014 flagship, storage isnt THAT expensive anymore. The cloud is cool and all but COME ON...
2. Glass back = look at those broken Iphones LMFAOOO!!!! Oh wait, damn. Anyone got some windex and superglue?!
3. I guess a better camera...
4. Some insulin pens for the sugar shock from eating so much klp... ;-)

COME ON VZW AND YOUR DAMNED CMDA, DONT BE A DIPSTICK!!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
1. Lets get more storage, this will be a 2014 flagship, storage isnt THAT expensive anymore. The cloud is cool and all but COME ON..

You've got to cut a lot of corners to break-even on this phone at $300-$350 (and obviously it can be done with barely any noticeable sacrifice). Google is willing to subsidize it some, but they don't want to lose their shirt. And they lose some recovery of that subsidy if they don't know what you do with that SD (vs. the cloud).

I've completely given up hope that Google devices, especially a Nexus, are going to have decent storage options any time in the near future. I'm just hoping the other OEM's will step to the plate with some choices.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Google, as well as most OEM's are going to move to more cloud friendly storage. It's just obvious. Storage isn't cheap and in these mini devices need smaller and smaller architecture to make room for larger batteries and lighter weight. And those are just the physical reasons, not to mention data mining and business model for integration with all of Googles services in one access place.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Yeah yeah the cloud, the cloud. But come on 8 gigs! 32 gig storage is not hard. And with this new wave of ppl being paranoid over spying, wouldnt you want to keep your files with you and not in cyberspace lol I would...! And another, put two albums, some pics, and a game (apps are having growth spurts ya know) on your phone and your done buddy...

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm not saying people don't want physical storage, I'm saying OEM's have legit reasons not to do a lot of storage. Personally I'm using about 200mb on my SD card (pictures I take for work) and I'd rather have the benefits of the cloud regardless of what the government knows about me. I have nothing to hide or worry about personally.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...not to mention data mining and business model for integration with all of Googles services in one access place.

That's almost entirely the reason. Storage is cheap, and most people would gladly pay for it. Content in the cloud is useless to people when they don't have a signal or are near their monthly data limit.

Increasingly these are multimedia devices first and phones second. And the direction in laptops/pc's has never been toward LESS storage - stepped down for SSD but now as that becomes more affordable we are getting larger and larger SSD's.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I have nothing to hide or worry about personally.
I'm sorry but that's a really, for lack of a better word, dumb statement and this type of attitude is why nothing will ever be changed. You want someone snooping into your every move? If yes, then please, start a thread and update it with recordings of all your calls, all of your web browsing history, and everything else you do on a computer/phone. I'm quite curious.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
i'm sorry but that's a really, for lack of a better word, dumb statement and this type of attitude is why nothing will ever be changed. You want someone snooping into your every move? If yes, then please, start a thread and update it with recordings of all your calls, all of your web browsing history, and everything else you do on a computer/phone. I'm quite curious.

lolllllllllllllllll