jtsrtr13

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently became the owner of an already rooted D1. I'm fairly new to the Android OS (only familiar bc my gf got one before me), and will probably have a ton of questions. Granted I've figured out a lot ab my Droid already, I know I have barely scratched the surface of its true potential.

For example....if someone wouldn't mind helping me get my Wireless Tethering to work that would be great. Like i said....the D1 is already rooted and I downloaded the tethering app and it just won't work.

I know this isn't the best place to be asking that question but I figured someone here is bound to see it that can help me. Many thanks, and see you in the forums.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Good to have you with us. The Droid is a fantastic device. This is old but I used it recently when I changed roms.

My settings for WiFi tether are...uncheck use Bluetooth,
check Enable WiFi Encryption, set up a passphrase (make sure it is 13 characters),
change the SSID or leave it default (I left it default),
Change channel to 07,
power mode active,
enable access control unchecked (my preference),
change LAN first option,
everything else left it the way it was.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
J

jtsrtr13

Reaction score
Still having problems

Thanks for the tips Mike, but for some reason I still can't get my device to start tethering....even after following your guidelines.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you receiving errors messages?
Are you using a PC or Mac?

OP
J

jtsrtr13

Reaction score
I am trying to tether my iPod touch (just to test the tether strength), but the app itself tells me that it is "Unable to start tethering. Please try again".

turboswag

Reaction score
Make sure you are root. The update Verizon pushed out the other day knocked my root out. I got the same error.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
J

jtsrtr13

Reaction score
How do I do that? Like I said I'm new to Android and I recieved the device already rooted.

turboswag

Reaction score
Try installing "Shootme" from the market place. If you are not root, it will fail. I'm not sure if there is a way in the OS to tell if you are root. My guess is that you lost your root in the update.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
J

jtsrtr13

Reaction score
Could I have lost my root if I didn't update? I've been ignoring the system update bc the guy at Verizon told me that since the phone was rooted to not do any system update.

turboswag

Reaction score
Well I did the update, I lost my root. If you have not done it. I'm not really sure what could be causing it to fail. look in your SuperUser app, or whatever you use to manage your root privileges. Look to see if it allowed it or not. My guess, is that it's something with it not getting root privileges.
Were you able to install Shootme?

I used MotoCache1's method to re-root my phone.

www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

OP
J

jtsrtr13

Reaction score
Ok I officially lost my root......ShootMe would not run. So i guess it would be safe to do the system update after all?

And after I update I could just re-root correct?

turboswag

Reaction score
to see is you are "rooted" download or use terminal app

At the $ prompt type su <enter>
should return a prompt now of
#

now enter cd /data/app-private
if you can do all that then you are rooted