New member saying Hi!

DarlinD

Reaction score
:welcome:

Well am new to the world of Smartphones, I finally gave up on my very old (7 yrs), dial only phone! I now have a DROID 2 global and consider myself younger than a newbie, if there is such a thing! I have setup my exchange mail, a VPN for our company's server, all of my other emails and all is working well. Feeling pretty proud of myself and then you know what they say about Pride comes before..... :)! I have a couple things that are driving me crazy and I KNOW they have to be easy to fix but dang if I can figure them out!
1.) How do you stop all of the 'dumb' apps from running all the time in the background. I have used Task Manager and downloaded Advanced Task manager (which I run like every 10 min) and they all keep coming back when I have stopped them. UGH
2.) How do you delete the pre-installed apps that you don't use (like Blockbuster)
3.) Now that I have my VPN set up, I can't figure out how to remote desktop into the server, is there a solution/app to do this?
4. I have tried all the tricks I know to help with the battery usage but it is really pretty bad. Any ideas on this? I don't use any of the web services during the day, just email and yet my battery will be almost dead, if not dead by the end of the day.

I REALLY appreciate any help/ideas any one can give me. AND I am also very sorry for probably asking the same questions that 100s before me have asked! I just haven't figured out how to use this sight yet since I have been so busy trying to figure out how to use my phone! :) Have a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Although I don't have a d2g, I can advise u of a couple things. Firstly, pre installed apps cannot be deleted unless u have root access. These are commonly known as bloatware.
Secondly, get rid of any and all task killers u got from the market. The built in android task killer is effective enough and those task killers simply consume more battery.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Hi Welcome to the forum. I am going to try to answer all your questions below.

Well am new to the world of Smartphones, I finally gave up on my very old (7 yrs), dial only phone! I now have a DROID 2 global and consider myself younger than a newbie, if there is such a thing! I have setup my exchange mail, a VPN for our company's server, all of my other emails and all is working well. Feeling pretty proud of myself and then you know what they say about Pride comes before..... :)! I have a couple things that are driving me crazy and I KNOW they have to be easy to fix but dang if I can figure them out!

1.) How do you stop all of the 'dumb' apps from running all the time in the background. I have used Task Manager and downloaded Advanced Task manager (which I run like every 10 min) and they all keep coming back when I have stopped them. UGH Get rid of the Task Killer, they are not needed with the Android system. They tend to cause more problems than they are really worth. The way the Android system is set up when you switch to another app the app you were just on freezes. It does not continue to run or update like a web page on a computer. So first item of business for you is to remove the task killer not only will you have a more pleasant experience with your Droid you will see better battery life.

2.) How do you delete the pre-installed apps that you don't use (like Blockbuster) Preinstalled apps are commonly referred to as Bloatware and unless you are rooted you cannot remove them. And to answer the next logical question that I am sure you will have............. you can read about rooting in the links in my signature but I would suggest you learn more about your phone first. Then really do your homework before you attempt to root.

3.) Now that I have my VPN set up, I can't figure out how to remote desktop into the server, is there a solution/app to do this? Unfortunately I do not know much about VPN so hopefully someone will jump on here that does and can answer this question.

4. I have tried all the tricks I know to help with the battery usage but it is really pretty bad. Any ideas on this? I don't use any of the web services during the day, just email and yet my battery will be almost dead, if not dead by the end of the day. You are probably experiencing a lot of battery drain from the task killer. Like I said above - Get rid of the task killer.

I REALLY appreciate any help/ideas any one can give me. AND I am also very sorry for probably asking the same questions that 100s before me have asked! I just haven't figured out how to use this sight yet since I have been so busy trying to figure out how to use my phone! :) Have a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Hope this helps and happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Canadroid

Reaction score

1.) How do you stop all of the 'dumb' apps from running all the time in the background. I have used Task Manager and downloaded Advanced Task manager (which I run like every 10 min) and they all keep coming back when I have stopped them. UGH
2.) How do you delete the pre-installed apps that you don't use (like Blockbuster)

dlwhtrose has this pegged--Android OS was designed to have these items running 'on call', the battery is not suffering needlessly because of it in most cases.

As far as the bloatware, I would avoid nuking them into oblivion. If you get rooted just grab Titanium Backup and 'freeze' any you really can't stand. Especially with the D2, you are going to want the ability to quickly restore any bloat to 'new in box' condition when needed for OTA updates.

Welcome to DF, btw.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum - it seems you have gotten all of your questions answered, let us know if you need anything else :)