New member peeved about Bluetooth non-functionality

WhyRless

Reaction score
I have had my HTC Droid Incredible for a week now, and was absolutely shocked to learn that they deliberately disabled Bluetooth Voice Dial capabillity- holy crap, this is a SAFETY ISSUE! I use my BT earphone often to voice dial or receive important calls when driving, and now I learn that my new, so-called "smart phone" can't do what my ~2002 vintage Moto Razr did quite reliably? WTF???

To rub salt in the wound, the built-in Voice Dial feature in the Incredible handset is a POS- it RARELY recognizes my voice diall commands, returning seemingly random results from my Contacts list. Is Android 2.2 (Froyo) going to fix either of these problems? If not, I don't need this phone and will reluctantly return it to Verizon in exchange for a less fancy phone that CAN HANDLE BLUETOOTH VOICE DIALING.

Jeez, you boneheads at HTC, GOOGLE, and VERIZON really screwed this one up!

713King

Reaction score
Froyo should fix this, you can root and update to Froyo before official release but that's if you want.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
It's Google, actually. Has nothing to do with Verizon and HTC. The new Froyo update will implement full Bluetooth Voice Dialing and all that it should include with the OTA due out. No one knows for sure, but looks like the new OTA could very well start rolling Friday.

OP
W

WhyRless

Reaction score
Would be wonderful if I can get that OTA update before my 1-month window for returning my new toy expires. I've seen lots of buzz about Froyo; are the improved BT features just vaporware, or have they been confirmed by actual users?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Would be wonderful if I can get that OTA update before my 1-month window for returning my new toy expires. I've seen lots of buzz about Froyo; are the improved BT features just vaporware, or have they been confirmed by actual users?

These features have been confirmed. How long until your 30 day window is up? Droid 1 rollout has started again, I believe, and pretty sure the Incredible is next in line, scheduled to start Friday.

OP
W

WhyRless

Reaction score
I got and activated my DrInc on 8/4, so I should have until 9/3 to make the decision. I like everything else about this phone, with the unanimous exception of the short battery life. May look into the extended life battery to address this issue. Got any recommendations on cases/ protectors?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I got and activated my DrInc on 8/4, so I should have until 9/3 to make the decision. I like everything else about this phone, with the unanimous exception of the short battery life. May look into the extended life battery to address this issue. Got any recommendations on cases/ protectors?

If you stick with a battery that fits under the stock cover (like the Seidio 1750 for extended), I would recommend the Innocase. I have had no problems with mine. As far as screen protectors, I love the Seinheld Crystal. Closest thing to the bare glass that I have found and works beautifully.

Stick close with the phone, the software drop should happen before your time is up. The manual is already out discussing the Bluetooth. If the rollout happens like it is supposed to, should start rolling on Friday.

alphawave7

Reaction score

If you stick with a battery that fits under the stock cover (like the Seidio 1750 for extended), I would recommend the Innocase. I have had no problems with mine. As far as screen protectors, I love the Seinheld Crystal. Closest thing to the bare glass that I have found and works beautifully.

Stick close with the phone, the software drop should happen before your time is up. The manual is already out discussing the Bluetooth. If the rollout happens like it is supposed to, should start rolling on Friday.

Appears to rolling out now! And I can verify for OP the BT VD issue was resolved with my Nexus FroYo update...works a treat.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Appears to rolling out now! And I can verify for OP the BT VD issue was resolved with my Nexus FroYo update...works a treat.

Thanks, Alpha, I thought I had heard right. Hopefully my Inc will be right behind in updates. Did catch the radio tonight and going to be interested to play with the camera tomorrow, but now I'm also ready for the full shooting match. :D

alphawave7

Reaction score

Thanks, Alpha, I thought I had heard right. Hopefully my Inc will be right behind in updates. Did catch the radio tonight and going to be interested to play with the camera tomorrow, but now I'm also ready for the full shooting match. :D

I bet! I know you've heard it before, but FroYo is like getting a whole new phone...even with the Nexus, the performance and reliability/stability shot WAYY up! :)

yumenoko

Reaction score
Noob here. Just picked up/activated my DX on Monday (after waiting for 9 days for it ship, like most others). I love everything but the battery life. I think. I'm actually finding some basic features like this voice dialing that I took for granted on my BB Bold, are missing or sub par on the droid. Also, it may be too big, which is like admitting sometimes you can have too much of a good thing!

Battery life aside, the voice dialing from the car hands free is a deal breaker for me. I didn't even bother to review and confirm how it functions on the DX because I assumed it was such a base requirement it simply had to be there. Oops. So, when I used to be able to just push the phone icon on my car's hands free device, my BB would tell me to "say a command". I'd tell it to "call Mike home" and have smooth execution, it appears I actually have to pick up my DX and find the voice dialing icon and then push it? While driving in California? LOL! Not gonna happen. Also, a previous poster mentioned that you can't even have multiple numbers listed under one contact (ex: Mike's home, work, and mobile numbers). How is that even not possible these days when we all have a ton of contacts and everyone has at least 2 numbers? Again, not saying the BB was a better total experience, but it was a better, well, "phone". I like the features of my DX smartphone, but admittedly, didn't realize the actual phone features would be lacking.

So, is it confirmed that Froyo will accept voice dialing from the hands free device activation (i.e. no need to touch the phone that is in my purse), and also that contacts can remain as (multiple numbers listed)?

My biggest concern is that I ported over from AT&T to Verizon just for the DX, and now have just Verizon phones to choose from, if the voice dialing on the DX isn't fixed with Froyo and I can do the return/exchnage thing within the next week or so. But I want to keep my DX if possible!

OP
W

WhyRless

Reaction score
I anxiously await the OTA to see if there is an improvement in the voice recognition capability in the handset- if it can listen to my BT headset but doesn't understand, I'll be no better off with Froyo than I am today. (The anticipation is just killin' me!!) :unsure:.

Any practical tips on making voice recognition work better? I've tried using names with hard consonant and distinct vowel sounds, and adding digits before or after the name to distinguish it more, but so far my DrInc seems to suffer from ADD or something... Maybe I need to look for "Ritalin" in the Droid App Store?