New member, looking to convert from BB to Droid

LSVLance

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been reading around a bit, quite a bit actually and am really close to making my decision. I'm looking to go from my 3 year old BB 9630 Tour to the Razr Maxx (on Verizon).

First a bit about how I currently use my BB. I use my phone mainly for email, actual phone calls and the occasional web browsing. Battery life and phone call quality are my major concerns which are leading me to the Maxx. I also want to carry the phone in my pocket, not on my hip. I'm typically turning whatever I can on the phone off (GPS, Browser, Whatapp, etc) to conserve battery. My phone is set to ring loud, vibrate on text and BBM messages received and LED light only for incoming email. I usually go about 3-4 days at a time between charges. I also go for more plain and simple as far as themes and such...again to conserve battery. I do use the camera and video camera regularly and typically either email the pics to photobucket for sharing or transfer them via BB desktop software directly to my PC before messing anymore with them. I'm not a big texter, never go over my allotment of 250 free texts a month...but I do text and BBM with those few left with a BB semi regularly.

Now for my questions about converting over to Android.

I use two Gmail email accounts primarily. I sync all of my contacts and calendar between my BB and my main Gmail account so setting that part up shouldn't be a big deal. My Gmail account is also set up for IMAP and I mainly use Thunderbird on my PCs for most of my email work. My phone is only to access my email when away from a PC. I also save all of my emails on my main PC for work reasons. Because of this, I've got my BB set to delete emails on my handheld only, not the email server. Basically I can delete an email from my phone on Saturday or Sunday, but when I get back to work on Monday the email is still there when I fire off Thunderbird and it syncs with my Gmail account. In Thunderbird I'll delete emails from my inbox and they go to my trash file. Every couple of weeks I'll transfer them from my trash file to a local file on my PC saving them forever.

I've used the Gmail app on my BB and frankly I like BB's email client much better. I guess it's called "Push" where the emails come to my phone immediately without the phone having to use data and battery to reach out and grab new emails. My assumption is with a Droid, my email function will be more like the Gmail app...than BB's email client? Can someone talk about the difference between the two and how the Droid version might work for a user like myself please?

Otherwise, I'm pretty stoked about finally getting a touchscreen phone. It came down to the HTC Incredible, Samsung S3 and the Maxx. The Maxx is $50 more...but I think with an Otterbox Commuter shell on it, it'll fit in my pocket very well and do everything I want it to do.

Thanks,
Lance

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First of all welcome to the forums. on the battery life you will not be able to go 2 or 3 days between charges. it will need charged daily or at most every other day

As far as email goes the corporate email sync works very well in my situation . i have never had a blackberry . but my phone gets the notification at the same time my computer does . ( as long as you have it set up for push) . but it does use data. sorry i cant be much help on this .

The maxx is a great phone and i beleive you will like it. but it will have a learning curve and will need charged daily ( most likely )

hopefully some x blackberry users will help you out.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome Lance!

I only use the gMail app on my phone so I cannot really discuss the differences / advantages / disadvantages - however, if the stock apps do not work for ya, you can always try out K9 which is a 3rd email app in the Play Store...

Good luck!

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I have both a BB (work) and a Droid Bionic. You will find that the Razr Maxx is a much better platform for email. You can use a virtual qwerty keyboard and type like you are on the BB or you can Swype, or dictate using voice commands. I haven't checked the settings on my computer but I feel confident you can set it yo where you can delete just on the Maxx then delete from the computer as you need to.

There is no need to compare browsers. Anything that the BB can do, the Maxx will do 10x better.

Just like Justin said, the battery will be an adjustment for you. You will need to charge each night but you will get a full day out of each charge.

Some things that you didn't mention. The maps/navigation feature is awesome. Its like having a Garmin gps in your pocket. The stock music player is way better and the camera can be set to automatically save your photos online (might be able to do that with BB but haven't tried).

Take the plunge and enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
L

LSVLance

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, for the welcomes and the hints.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on this. I think I've satisfied my need to know that the email client can be fine tuned to work as I need it too.

I'm used to turning off everything I can on the BB (GPS, any apps that use battery and data, etc) to make the battery last as long as it can, I guess I'll need to readjust myself into leaving those fun features on...and just recharging the phone every night.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! Looks like these guys have you well on your way, so I am just here to welcome you!! :biggrin:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome aboard... I too an a convert... I... 94lt1... used blackberrys :D:p but then I woke up :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Welcome to the board!

I personally leave GPS off unless I need it. I don't need other apps recording my exact location or turning on the GPS when I open an app like facebook. There are different power widgets you can choose from that allow easy access to turning on gps/wifi/vibrate/ringtone and all that.

OP
L

LSVLance

Reaction score
Upgrade complete...currently searching my way around the new Maxx

Was just getting comfortable finding my way around...and the phone did an update. Now I can't find a damn thing and feel like I"m starting over again.

Bought the phone at Costco, came with GB I believe. Now has 4.0.4 is that ICS?

OP
L

LSVLance

Reaction score
Okay, so I've had my face stuck in this thing for every waking minute since I got it home last night... Is there a cure for that? :icon_eek:

I have GOT to get some work done some time today...

Things are going pretty smooth, all the work stuff is taken care of (email, contacts etc) now I'm messing with apps and functions. Probably my best find so far was a free pdf creator where you take a picture of a document, convert it to a pdf and email it out. That one WILL get used a lot.

Still haven't found my favorite weather app yet though. One friend of mine adamantly recommends radar source I believe...but it's $9.99 He swears it's worth it to a weather geek...holding off of now though.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Welcome aboard... I too an a convert... I... 94lt1... used blackberrys :D:p but then I woke up :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Those were dark times.... I too made the move a couple years ago from the BB to a Droid X. It was a night and day difference for me. I couldn't imagine not having a Droid now!

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lance, I use weather bug. It gives a very decent radar map. Also can't bar the price....free!

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Hope you find yourself satisfied with your new upgrade. DancingNexus