New Froyo Release vs. Leaked

mwm523

Reaction score
Differences? Feature-wise, no differences that I can find between the leak and the official OTA. However on my phone, the OTA seems to be much more stable than the leak was. So far no freezes, no random reboots, no need for a battery pull.

Still, some of the glitches found in the leak are also present in the OTA. For intstance, the battery manager still force closes sometimes, there's still some kind of SMS time stamp issue, and there are some apps I can't find in the market (Cache Mate paid version for example).

Not sure what Moto has been doing for the last month since the first leak, but apparently they weren't fixing those the little glitches that have been present since the first leak. They also apparently weren't plugging the hole that allows us to root using the D2 method, so who knows?

All in all, I like the OTA. It's stable, I'm rooted, and everything is fine. And someone will leak the official 2.2 SBF file soon enough so we won't be trapped by the bootloader.

liferefugee

Reaction score
if your running with the most recent leak, you wouldnt notice too much different. However, if you dont do this OTA, you probaby wont get future OTAs. For every post about someone having issues with the OTA update, there are probably 10 that things went smooth for. My personal take is to grab the OTA and then reroot, but its a personal choice for each.

*edit* future OTA updates would probably be made available by someone via a custom update pretty quickly anyway, so that may be a mute issue.

themuttt

Reaction score
if your running with the most recent leak, you wouldnt notice too much different. However, if you dont do this OTA, you probaby wont get future OTAs. For every post about someone having issues with the OTA update, there are probably 10 that things went smooth for. My personal take is to grab the OTA and then reroot, but its a personal choice for each.

*edit* future OTA updates would probably be made available by someone via a custom update pretty quickly anyway, so that may be a mute issue.

just did the downgrade/upgrade and while it is nerve racking, it moves along pretty quickly, probably due to not having any apps installed. So far so good restoring everything via My Backup Pro

fwaggle

Reaction score
Differences? Feature-wise, no differences that I can find between the leak and the official OTA. However on my phone, the OTA seems to be much more stable than the leak was. So far no freezes, no random reboots, no need for a battery pull.

Still, some of the glitches found in the leak are also present in the OTA.

This is basically why I decided not to update - I'm still on .9 instead of the leaked .15, and I've had zero issues with any of the leaked software at all. I've never had to pull the battery in my phone in the entire time I've had it, and since 2.3.9 (android2.2) the phone screams... there's literally almost nothing I can do to make it slow down.

I would say that if you are experiencing problems with the leak, that perhaps it might be worth going the OTA route - knowing full well it may not fix the issues... but with the un-patched bootloader you have quite a bit more options, so unless those issues are troubling enough that you're willing to spend a bit of time to maybe fix them.

To me, it's absolutely not worth it.

liferefugee

Reaction score
something to keep in mind though... I wouldnt expect developers to work on multiple versions of the OS for the DX. Keeping the old leak causes more fragmentation in the development, with the change to the bootloader key.

Xpain

Reaction score
I'm pretty much gonna say the same thing several members have already said, but I'm keeping my leak unless I get some evidence the OTA has improvements. If it's not broken, don't fix it. My leak 2.2 runs perfectly, won't take the risk to have one or more issues with the OTA if, once again, my 2.2 leak runs perfectly. I really don't feel like getting back all my settings and apps again...

fwaggle

Reaction score
something to keep in mind though... I wouldnt expect developers to work on multiple versions of the OS for the DX. Keeping the old leak causes more fragmentation in the development, with the change to the bootloader key.

Oh sure, but keeping the old leak for now doesn't exclude you from being able to update later... but as of right now (note: give it a couple days to a week) if you update and there's some sort of a show-stopper issue for you with the new firmware, there's absolutely no way to go back.

I'm not advocating leaving your phone on .9 or .15 forever... just for right now (at least until there's a OTA 2.2 SBF, or a public way to roll back to 2.1, IMHO). If there's no issues motivating you to upgrade and you do, you're risking your phone's current stability with a chance to gain virtually nothing, and having no ability to roll-back.

Dxun

Reaction score
Most of us here on these forums are ROM junkies. Why go back to stock just to get the upgrade when we all know it will come to us slightly modified. I prefer to have my phone themed and looking the way i want it. I'm very happy with Flymans ROM at the moment and im certain him and some others have some stuff coming for us.

themuttt

Reaction score
maybe it's just me, but the OTA seems to feel a bit smoother than the Leak. Some of this may have to do with the wipe and clean install of 2.1, then update to 2.2, then restore the apps and data, I don't know, but I do believe that it was worth the hassle in the long run.