NEW ETF Fee for VZW?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well Look at this picture sent to me earlier today. It appears as if VZW is going to be chaging thier ETF for for advanced devices. This is a bad situation for all VZW customers who use these devices. Tell us what you think :mad:.

Special Thanks to Randy from Droneberry.com for forwarding this on to me :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That truly means get your damn phone before 11/15. So that way you will be locked in by contract. I can understand why they are doing it, because there were MANY who bought an iphone to break the contract and take it to another company. AT&T i think lost alot of money on that happening, because the iphones costs for them is still quite a bit. Same with all other smart-phones. I think you will see alot of companies start doing this soon.

mjs31

Reaction score
Well Look at this picture sent to me earlier today. It appears as if VZW is going to be chaging thier ETF for for advanced devices. This is a bad situation for all VZW customers who use these devices. Tell us what you think :mad:.

Special Thanks to Randy from Droneberry.com for forwarding this on to me :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:.

That sucks, but I can see why they would do it. Either way...11/6/09 for me....thanks for the info though...that is good to know.

dean.collins

Reaction score
Yep it does suck.

I wonder why the delayed the $350 until the 15th of November instead of pre-droid launch?

rjmlakota

Reaction score
I don't understand what this means? Can someone explain in more detail?

Thanks,

RJ

dean.collins

Reaction score

Thanks,

RJ

Yep basically if you buy your droid after the 15th of November if you leave verizon BEFORE the end of 2 years they want to charge you an early temination fee.

So basically if you left after 1 year (to go back to at&T for the "iPhone V5" for example) then they will charge you $230 ($350 - ($10 per month x 12 months completed = $120)

If you buy before the 15th of november the amount they charge you is $175 - $5 per month completed (so the example above would be $115 early termination fee ($175 - ($5 per month x 12=$60)

Does that answer your question?

Cheers,
Dean Collins
www.Collins.net.pr/blog

Last edited:

rutger1413

Reaction score
It probably has something to do with how much they are subsidizing these phones now. It bothers me though that we are forced to get data and now pay higher ETFs for these devices.

rjmlakota

Reaction score

Thanks,

RJ

Yep basically if you buy your droid after the 15th of November if you leave verizon BEFORE the end of 2 years they want to charge you an early temination fee.

So basically if you left after 1 year (to go back to at&T for the "iPhone V5" for example) then they will charge you $230 ($350 - ($10 per month x 12 months completed = $120)

If you buy before the 15th of november the amount they charge you is $175 - $5 per month completed (so the example above would be $115 early termination fee ($175 - ($5 per month x 12=$60)

Does that answer your question?

Cheers,
Dean Collins
www.Collins.net.pr/blog

Perfectly explained!

I've been with Verizon for over 10 years and don't plan to change.:)

Thanks,

RJ

dean.collins

Reaction score
Sure but you may chose to get a new phone within 24 months....this early ETF will also apply to you even if you aren't leaving Verizon.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation Dean. I didn't quite understand at first as well.

I don't think this will effect that many users but will protect Verizon from scammers and prevent people from jumping ship early. Remember, Verizon is shelling out around $400 (I believe) to Motorola for every Droid phone they sell. Gotta make that up somehow...

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure but you may chose to get a new phone within 24 months....this early ETF will also apply to you even if you aren't leaving Verizon.

Would you like to clarify where you get that info from? Because at verizon after the first 10 months you are allowed to get a new phone for the subsidized price. Never have you had to pay an ETF before, and nothing i read in that statement leads me to believe it's any different now.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
That's incorrect. They won't do that....ETF is for customers leaving VZW before their contract is up. Not buying a new phone. You can get 15 new phones in 24 months and not be charged an ETF.

OP
M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's incorrect. They won't do that....ETF is for customers leaving VZW before their contract is up. Not buying a new phone. You can get 15 new phones in 24 months and not be charged an ETF.

That's exactly correct. Only if you leave VZW before you contract time is p. After 10 months you can do a yearly "upgrade" Even worse news is the NE2 discount may drop to $50 this year also :blink:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's exactly correct. Only if you leave VZW before you contract time is p. After 10 months you can do a yearly "upgrade" Even worse news is the NE2 discount may drop to $50 this year also :blink:

Verizon Online said:
If you maintain service on a plan of $34.99 or higher and fulfill twenty (20) months of your two-year term, you will be eligible to apply your New Every Two discount toward the two-year discounted retail price of a new device, up to the price of the device after any available rebates. If your Plan monthly access is $79.99 or higher for the entire three months prior to completing your New Every Two device upgrade, you will get up to $50 toward the purchase of that device. If your Plan monthly access is between $34.99 and $79.98 at any time during the three months prior to completing your New Every Two device upgrade, you will get up to $30 toward the purchase of that device. You can also transfer your New Every Two credit to another line on your account. When completing your New Every Two upgrade, you will need to renew your agreement on the line that earned the New Every Two discount for another two years on a plan with a monthly access of $34.99 or higher. Upgrading your device at a discounted price, including exercising your Annual Upgrade option, will restart your eligibility for New Every Two. Secondary Family SharePlan lines are not eligible to participate in the program, except secondary Family SharePlan lines on an Unlimited Anytime Minute Plan. New Every Two discount amounts and plan tiers subject to change at Verizon Wireless’ sole discretion. You may have only six months to take advantage of the New Every Two benefits once you become eligible.

This was a breakdown of the new every two from the verizon site itself.

Verizon | Calling Features: New Every Two® - Verizon Wireless Support