New DX Owner.

Velystiri

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls. I have been trying to find some info around the net about these questions but I am either very unresourceful or I am missing something.

#1. When I use the advanced task killer app, it is constantly killing 10-20 apps at a time. Does this mean that I have 10-20 apps consistently turning themselves back on and using up my battery life?

#2. What is a ROM?

#3. Does anyone know how to disable to contact list syncing with Facebook?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1: get rid of that task killers, it's not necessary (there should be a sticky thread about this somewhere)
2: a ROM pretty much is what runs your phone, you can root and flash a new one to be more customizable (plenty of threads on this)
3: I think when you first boot up Facebook it asks if you want to sync with contacts, just hit do not sync

alienware777

Reaction score
A rom is not a kernel... you can install roms and then put on your own kernels and mix and match them. A rom is... well its what your phone runs. Its the custom tweaks and such that the dev made, and then uploaded for you to install on your phone. A kernel is.. well idk how to explain this one. Its like the base on you phone though. It controls a lot of things, and the one everyone cares about is how much you can overclock your phone. I'm sure others can explain this better though, I was in a rush to leave but I had to answer so you didn't think a rom=kernel :p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
V

Velystiri

Reaction score
I am having some problems disabling apps, or getting them to stop automatically running. Right now I have Amazon MP3, CarDock, Gmail, Google Search, MediaShare, Contacts and Voice Commands all running and I am not even using them. I have lost 10% battery life in about an hour. I played AngryBirds for about 10 minutes in the time.

Natey2

Reaction score
Right now I have Amazon MP3, CarDock, Gmail, Google Search, MediaShare, Contacts and Voice Commands all running and I am not even using them.

I have ATK installed, but disabled the auto-kill feature.
(It has a nice interface to see what is running, and to be able to selectively find and stop apps if/when necessary)

How do you determine what app is using what portion of the following resources?
a. Memory
b. CPU
c. Network (3G data, and wifi)
d. Battery

For a & b, I use Android System Info.
For c, I use TrafficStats Lite and TrafficInfo.
For d, I use Android's Battery Manager, Statistics.

e.g. Amazon MP3 uses about 20MB and 0% CPU when idling.
Killing it would reclaim 20MB of memory some other app could use, but I think Android will swap it out when it deems necessary, so unless you really want that 20MB back right now, I'd leave it alone.

Looking at d, my display is almost always the biggest battery drainer, and by a big margin, unless I am using my GPS with a navigation app.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Iowa

Reaction score
If your not unlocking and locking your phone every 10 minutes I would suggest getting JuiceDeffender.