New Droid user

blacore

Reaction score
Can my Razr read a book back to me like the kindle does?
Wile i'm running it would be nice to listen to the book I'm reading, that's not available in audio floormat.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
To answer you question the best I can because I don't use these products, Google Books does read book aloud to you if you are interested in using that. As far as the Kindle App within Android I am unsure because again I don't use it. Maybe someone else here does and can answer that for you.

OP
B

blacore

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought I needed to make the Header a little more clear, and didn't know if it was posted in the right spot. I'm also not a poster to speak of, so if I screw up something just let me know. Lol

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
No problem, just letting you know for future reference.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It would be helpful to know what kind of e-books you're wanting to have read (where were they purchased from, are they DRM free, etc.). If you have Kindle books (since you mentioned the Kindle), which can only be read through the Kindle app due to DRM, then no, they cannot be read to you. The Kindle Android app does not support the reading feature that the Kindle devices have.

As Sydman mentioned, Google Books (now called "Play Books" I believe...still sounds ridiculously silly) does have this feature, but you will be unable to use Kindle books with the app.

Last edited:
OP
B

blacore

Reaction score
I have a Amazon account for Kindle, thats where I get all my books now anyway. So it sounds like they format the books in DRM ( What ever that is ) I will have to ask one of my kids. Lol But thanks for the help anyway, ( My youngest kid, age 18 says I'm just old )

I will look up Google Books, Maybe if i get my books from there it might be possible?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have a Amazon account for Kindle, thats where I get all my books now anyway. So it sounds like they format the books in DRM ( What ever that is ) I will have to ask one of my kids. Lol But thanks for the help anyway, ( My youngest kid, age 18 says I'm just old )

I will look up Google Books, Maybe if i get my books from there it might be possible?

DRM = Digital Rights Management. It's a form of copy protection used on digital files to try to ensure that they're not spread around the internet after being purchased. For Kindle books, it makes them only compatible with the Kindle devices and Kindle apps.

Purchasing from Play Books (that's the name of the online store where they're purchased now instead of Google Books) should allow the books to be read to you on your Android device (although the reading feature may be restricted per the publisher's request like on the Kindle, but I can't say for sure). Most of the books purchased here will also have DRM, so you can't use them with your Kindle devices and apps.

SallyC

Reaction score

I haven't done it, and it's neither simple or recommended, but if you really, really, really want to: How do I listen to Kindle books on my Android Phone? It would probably be easier to get a waist pack like this and just carry your Kindle.

SallyC

Reaction score
Yes, we were looking at ways to use the Kindle library that they already have. But Audible books are compatible with Kindle and they also have an Android app. Of course you're limited to audio the pricing is going to mostly be higher.

I'm amazed with the Kindle how many good books there are for free or really, really cheap. Lots of authors I had never heard of before and now I really like. I've gotten away from even thinking about the NYT best seller lists - there's a ton of good authors out there.

OP
B

blacore

Reaction score
I buy as many audiobooks as I can, because they are a lot easier to listen to. Like the above post said the computer voice's just sound wierd, but
some of the Health and Nutrition books I read don't have a audio version. Not a big deal just thought if it could be done I would try and find out how, ( without asking the kids ) Lol

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your Maxx!

Looks like you have some good suggestions / feedback on your book question ;)...