New Droid from insurance, and my first problems with Sapphire... kernel related?

velocity92c

Reaction score
So I dropped my old phone in the toilet last week and got my new one in the mail today. I immediately rooted and installed sapphire. On my old phone I never had a single problem with Sapphire but on this one my browser just crashes, no FCs, just a crash to the home screen and I've had two random reboots in the past 30 mins.

I'm guessing this is a problem with the kernel? I used to use on my old phone the 1.2ghz low voltage kernel but when I installed Sapphire from rom manager today I accidentally picked med voltage. Could my phone be telling me that med voltage is not the right choice? I haven't even downloaded setcpu yet but I know sapphire overclocks by default (I think anyway). If this is a problem with the kernel how do I know which one to use? Is the voltage what matters or are some CPUs just not capable of being clocked higher? I really don't know anything about any of this stuff so if someone could help me out and explain it a little better for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

captdroid

Reaction score
So I dropped my old phone in the toilet last week and got my new one in the mail today. I immediately rooted and installed sapphire. On my old phone I never had a single problem with Sapphire but on this one my browser just crashes, no FCs, just a crash to the home screen and I've had two random reboots in the past 30 mins.

I'm guessing this is a problem with the kernel? I used to use on my old phone the 1.2ghz low voltage kernel but when I installed Sapphire from rom manager today I accidentally picked med voltage. Could my phone be telling me that med voltage is not the right choice? I haven't even downloaded setcpu yet but I know sapphire overclocks by default (I think anyway). If this is a problem with the kernel how do I know which one to use? Is the voltage what matters or are some CPUs just not capable of being clocked higher? I really don't know anything about any of this stuff so if someone could help me out and explain it a little better for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Dumped your DROID in the crapper eh? :icon_evil:

Anyway, yes sounds like a problem with your phone and the kernel and or corruption.

Go here and download a 125-800 LV (low voltage) or 125-800 SV (standard voltage) kernel and install the kernel like a ROM (but don't wipe before installing the kernel)

You may want to also start over and do a clean install of Sapphire then the 125-800 kernel of your choice thus eliminating any potential corruption.

jayman350

Reaction score
yes different phones will handle overclocking differently. You just have to try out a few until you find one that will be stable on your phone. Start with a 800MHz kernel and work your way up until you start getting the reboots or crashes again. Then you will know the upper limit of what your phone can handle.

Armyof2

Reaction score
man yeah my roommates replacement phone sucks...drops calls etc...he's talking about breaking it again in a bout amonth so he can replace with the D2 or Dinc