New Car - Android Auto

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
So last evening, I bought a new Hyundai Sonata and the existing Navigation/Audio system is top notch, but I knew that there was an update to install Android Auto out there and I wanted to get it installed.

I asked the dealer if anyone had installed it yet and he said none of their technicians had done so and did not know of anyone that was using it yet, so I figured it would be no big deal and I would do the install.

Pretty simple process.. Download the software upgrade to a thumb drive, put the thumb drive into the usb port and go to the settings of the in-dash system and touch upgrade. The process took about 30 minutes, which gave me time to look through the new car manual and also adjust some in-car settings via the options screen on the gauges screen.

After the upgrade, I enabled the Android Auto, plugged in my Galaxy S4 and the screen popped right up with the options for Phone, Google Maps and Google Play Music. It also recognized apps like IHeart Radio, Skype and Tune-In Radio which I had installed on my phone and are Android Auto compliant.

The one issue I found right off the bat is that if you store any music on the SD card on your phone, you are going to have issues playing it through Google Play Music. Even when I set my app to "downloaded music only", it was a nightmare to find the music as their is no "folder" feature to browse for music. I could not make a playlist based on artists by folder and that is not a good thing. Hopefully a third party music app like Poweramp will update their player to work on Android Auto.

More details to come...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So crazy to think that we're installing system updates on our TVs, cars, and watches now.

Looking forward to reading more about your experiences with android auto!

OP
Meto

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Probably traveling this weekend for some R & R, so I will use it more extensively and then I can provide some good info after I return.

I love the ability to remote start the car via my LG G Watch.. I am going to look to buy the LG Urbane Watch now.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I had it installed on mine as well. Not too overjoyed by it. It does offer texting features that the Blue link does not offer. I prefer to play my music from my SD card vs Google Music which AA plays through. Is AA a must have feature, I think not.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Probably traveling this weekend for some R & R, so I will use it more extensively and then I can provide some good info after I return.

I love the ability to remote start the car via my LG G Watch.. I am going to look to buy the LG Urbane Watch now.
One annoyance of the remote start is that the headlights blink while it is idling with remote start. Something Hyundai needs to tweek.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Now that is pretty cool! Reminds me of KIT from Night Rider. Looking forward to reading more when you have a chance to post more experiences.

OP
Meto

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Well after a long weekend traveling around in the new car and experimenting with Android Auto, I would have to say that it needs a lot more work before it is a viable system for use.

The Good:

1. Google Maps are constantly updated (and are free unlike the car navigation system) and the navigation system works very well.
2. Google Play Music via different stations using the in car system with voice works fine.
3. Receiving text messages with the ability to respond via voice is a nice feature to have.

The Bad:
1. Picking up your phone while Android Auto is activated will turn the system off and forget everything you had queued up (Navigation, Music...etc)
2. Google Play music for music saved on your SD Card is frustrating to use as their is no "file" feature to play from a folder.
3. None of the apps that are supposed to be compatible would show up for use. This includes iHeart Radio, Tune-In Radio, Stitcher... etc.
4. The navigation system definitely needs some work in order to make it compare to my in-car navigation system. My system shows exits to take by showing a picture of the exit itself. It also gives you a nice warning when you are a couple of miles away. Android Auto only gave notice 1/4 mile from the exit.
5. Google Maps POI for navigation needs updated.
6. Calling contacts by voice would not always work.

OP
Meto

Meto

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
One annoyance of the remote start is that the headlights blink while it is idling with remote start. Something Hyundai needs to tweek.

After using remote start quite a bit in the last week, I see what you mean