New app release, paid or free/ads

alm0614

Reaction score
Hello all, I am about to release my first app. I am very happy with it and as it took a lot of time/effort on my part, I would like to earn a little money with it. The app is targeted towards kids in school, mostly college age as it has to do with grade calculation/gpa stuff. I am debating between making it a paid app (.99) or making it free with ads. I really hate ads so I would rather make it paid, but I am afraid no one will download it then. What are your thoughts? I am open to any suggestions.

TIA

Beka27

Reaction score
I would have been really interested to have that... but I just graduated last week. Does the app figure out the least you can get on a project or final and still pass?

Can you offer it for free (with ads) for awhile to get it out there, maybe get some good reviews for your free version, and then come out with an upgraded "Pro" version (ad-free and maybe with some level of customization) for a dollar?

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
No, the app does not calculate individual class grades. I have thought about that and will look into that as well. The issue is every class/school has different grading methods/weightings etc. For example, some classes are a total based out of 1000 points, while some are 10% HW, 50% tests etc etc

techguru

Reaction score
I prefer apps that have both options. Since the paid app trial period has decreased from a day to 15 minutes, an app with ads allows for a reasonable trial period, and it lets those who spent all their money on their phone the opportunity to use the app and still give the developer some income. Apps that I decide I am going to keep I almost always upgrade to the ad free version. Apps that I only use occasionally, I will usually keep the advertisement supported version.

Alan

Natey2

Reaction score
If you release a free version with no ads, never push out an update with ads at a later time, or your rating will go down the drain, as other developers who did this have found out.
So include ads with any free version to set the right expectations.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
Agreed, if I release it free, it will have ads immediately.

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd figure out if there's a market for the type of app you're about to release out there before you release it. See if you can generate any hype with a trailer showing off the core functionality of the app and see how it goes. if there IS a potential user base, then release it for .99 cents. Why not?

That's what I did with my first app last month and it's gone pretty well honestly. I've added new features to the app over the past couple weeks and continually updated it so people who dropped their hard earned (dollar) on my app hopefully feel like they got their money's worth.

I know how you feel...you're about to release Ver. 1.0 of your very first app...exciting times ahead for sure!

Good luck man. :rockon:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I would release a free ad based version and a paid ad free version. Either way, is people use it you make money.

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd figure out if there's a market for the type of app you're about to release out there before you release it. See if you can generate any hype with a trailer showing off the core functionality of the app and see how it goes. if there IS a potential user base, then release it for .99 cents. Why not?

That's what I did with my first app last month and it's gone pretty well honestly. I've added new features to the app over the past couple weeks and continually updated it so people who dropped their hard earned (dollar) on my app hopefully feel like they got their money's worth.

I know how you feel...you're about to release Ver. 1.0 of your very first app...exciting times ahead for sure!

Good luck man. :rockon:

Hmm thats not a bad idea. thanks

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
I would release a free ad based version and a paid ad free version. Either way, is people use it you make money.

Thats what I was thinking, thank you. Would you all suggest maybe the paid version getting updates sooner/only getting certain updates or what?