New app for the Cord Cutter & News junkie: NewsOn

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
1067774_630x354.jpg

A new app is making headlines across the web today. This app may just be what the cord cutter (or the local news junkie) has been waiting for. There are still a few obstacles in the way that keep some people from 'cutting the cord' completely. Sports, Local Sports and Local News are 3 of the big ones. Sure, you can always just use an antenna, but then you have to rely on, of course LIVE TV and being in range of your local TV stations.

Enter NewsOn. Currently supporting over 100 local news stations, you can download this app and watch ON DEMAND local news. That's right: On Demand. As I type this, 19ActionNews (Cleveland) is streaming the 4AM broadcast on my phone. It has a great little "browse the map" type station finder.

Of course, it still has a long way to go. At only 100 current channels, there is a lot of the country missing. In my area, 19ActionNews is the ONLY one participating in this right now, and honestly, I'd rather watch any of the other stations over 19. Still, as an early version, it's certainly worth checking out to see what's available in your area.

If you install the app, report back what's available in your area! Did I mention there's also a ROKU app? (and iOS).

Source: TechHive

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks will install it when I get a chance.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Checked out the Roku app. It's nice but weird. Watched a broadcast last night. There are no commercials but there are breaks. It's just comes up and says "we'll be right back" for like 2 minutes. I'd rather watch commercials. Anyone else try it? Is it only my station that does this?

TapaTurboII

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Would be nice if they had a link to a list of the stations currently supported. I'm assuming none in my area are, but I'm downloading now to check it out myself. If nothing else, might be fun to check out news closer to where I grew up. That's a much larger area, so I'm thinking chances are better than one of them would be onboard.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'd be curious what you get up there.
I'm just really shocked by the no ads thing. In this day and age? Wouldn't "you commercials will be seen by mroe people" be an even bigger selling point to get news channels onboard?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd be curious what you get up there.
I'm just really shocked by the no ads thing. In this day and age? Wouldn't "you commercials will be seen by mroe people" be an even bigger selling point to get news channels onboard?
I get the feeling that's crossing a line there. Because the local channel sells ad spots and the larger network they're affiliated sells ad spots. Does the app then sell ad spots to fill in those gaps, or does the app make a deal with the networks to show those ads and the networks can tell their customers that they're putting their ads in front of more people?