New android and 3rd party battery

skifreak

Reaction score
I bought a 3rd party battery off ebay and it worked great with 2.1, I installed the new version just now and it does not recognize my battery. I tried to reboot and now the phone wont come up at all (shows the battery with a ? on it)... HELP!

OP
S

skifreak

Reaction score
Finally booted up but still doesn't like the battery? Any way to fix OR uninstall 2.2?

liferefugee

Reaction score
you should be able to flash back to 2.1 stock following the directions posted in a thread here about unbricking your phone, or from rootwiki.

OP
S

skifreak

Reaction score
Thanks.. ill give that a try tonight. Any idea about the battery issue?

pleasestirme

Reaction score
I can report that the leaked versions of 2.2 also do not work with 3rd party batteries. The symptom is that you can't charge your battery when its in the phone or see how much battery life is left.

I have used the 3rd party batterys anyway with 2.2 for some time with no bad effects.

Somewhere within the new android build there is a built in battery check that checks the battery and disables charging and battery life readout if it is a non-moto battery.

This is a great argument for running a custom rom with that battery check disabled. Hopefully someone will fix it soon. Im brand new to the android world but if anyone knows how to troubleshoot this I would be happy to experiment.

Any suggestions?

PleaseStirMe

Hawk600

Reaction score
Looks like you cannot use the 2.1 SBF to flash the Froyo official OTA release. You will be bricking your phone.
I would do some research first.

Hawk600

Reaction score
That's good for you!
There are many threads around mentioning that 2.2 had some file changes that are not compatible with 2.1 SBF and some phones are now being used as paper weigth. :)
Seems like they will be releasing a 2.2 SBF with updated files for people that want to downgrade from the official OTA update.
I still on 2.2 leaked plus root waiting to see how's the official Froyo goes.