Net Neutrality Rules Overturned By FCC

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
fcc-commissioners-01312017-web-jpg.78148

The one thing I think most Americans could agree on regardless of political party affiliation was Net Neutrality the Obama era rules that forbade ISPs from favoring some internet content over others. The FCC just voted to repeal these rules. This change could open up the door for ISPs to charge more for the backbone that powers services like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube. If ISPs decided to charge those larger companies more for faster speeds and those companies decided not to or simply could not afford the fees consumers may end up with a much less appealing end product.

ISPs could also charge you and I more for "add-on" services like some other ISPs in countries like England that charge extra fees for social media, messaging, and video streaming. The FCC argues that ISPs won't make these kind of anti consumer changes since it would anger their customer base. That might be so in places that have many options, but many Americans have only one option for an ISP so they would be at the mercy of that ISP. Some Americans that have two ISPs to chose from wouldn't fare much better.

These changes will go into effect as soon as next month. That being said the FCC's decision here is not the final word. Congress can still overturn this. You can sign the petition to take this to Congress at the link below. Now would also be a good time to research where your Congressmen stand on this issue. If they are against Net neutrality it would be a good idea to give them a call and let them know that you, their constituent, would like to have the decision by the FCC reversed. Head to the link below to find the congresspeople in your state. Information is provided to tweet, email, or call them. Let your voice be heard on the matter.

Sign the petition to get Congress involved
Contact your Congress People

Attachments

• fcc-commissioners-01312017-web.jpg
    fcc-commissioners-01312017-web.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 3,886

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This is not the time to be complacent. Despite that the FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, wanted to insist that net neutrality rules were unnecessary and thinks we should put faith in our ISP providers to do what's right by consumers, we will soon see how necessary net neutrality rules are. The internet as we know it can change dramatically & drastically.

The FCC Just Killed Net Neutrality—Now What?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
so he thinks we can trust big corporate boards who must make millions in order to pay dividends to their stockholders or else.

I don't think there will be any major changes at the moment because they must help their corporate lackey at the fcc save face.

R

RETG

Good. Like the government does a great job of controlling things in our lives. Government controls have a bad habit of stopping free trade and advancement in all industries.
The internet seemed to run quite good from the Clinton years to 2015 with free enterprise. If my memory serves me correctly, there were sure some great advancements, companies created, etc., prior to 2015.

But just wait, in a few years some other moron will jump in and turn it all around again.

boidsonly

Reaction score
Pai is clearly in bed with the ISPs and plans to go back to a cushy job at one of them when he leaves the FCC. This is one exception to the "get big Gov't out of our lives". There is currewntly nothing that affects EVERY American more than the death of Net Neutrality. Ensure you you accomplish both actions on the OP and forward the link to your family/friends.
Sadly, your Reps on both sides of the aisles are major stockholders in all the ISPs, so they are not going to willingly cut their own throats. It will take your threats of replacing them come election time to get them to vote on your behalf.
Put down your remote and do something about it...

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
ISPs do not do Right by Customers. Does he Pay his Cable Bill? I have Cable, Internet and Phone and my Bill is ~$230/mo. Its ridiculous. Then Comcast says over 1TB of Usage and hen there are Fees. I usually use ~600GB/mo have maxed to 800GB mostly do to Netflix and other Streaming Services since i only have 1 TV and all the Others use Streaming Services. I work from Home so I do need the Phone as to anyone who might wonder why anyone needs a home phone.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
so he thinks we can trust big corporate boards who must make millions in order to pay dividends to their stockholders or else.

I don't think there will be any major changes at the moment because they must help their corporate lackey at the fcc save face.

Forget it. I get shouted down on multiple forums for being against NN. People are worked into a fury by what they read instead of stopping and considering the logic in what they are being force-fed. Which is the exact accusation leveled at you if you are anti-NN, ironically.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To interject I have voiced my initial thoughts on YT but I'm going to say it again here.

The reality is that not enough Americans cared or knew they should care. There are a lot of Americans who are use to the norm that we get cable through cable companies and don't know why nn will effect that. About time some of those were made aware it was too late.

The FCC banked on the fact Americans would not care and they were mostly right because this was not treated as a big deal after the vote. News channels, sports channels, all glossed over it and when some of the news did talk about it they spent very little time on it. The news that got all the attention was Disney Fox which were lined up perfect to take advantage.

I think people will continue to evolve and figure out ways around it. Yeah it will hurt a lot but people will grow businesses around those challenges. Ie the death of Blockbusters the rise of Netflix.

Basically despite the change we will find away, so keep your heads up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
To interject I have voiced my initial thoughts on YT but I'm going to say it again here.

The reality is that not enough Americans cared or knew they should care. There are a lot of Americans who are use to the norm that we get cable through cable companies and don't know why nn will effect that. About time some of those were made aware it was too late.

The FCC banked on the fact Americans would not care and they were mostly right because this was not treated as a big deal after the vote. News channels, sports channels, all glossed over it and when some of the news did talk about it they spent very little time on it. The news that got all the attention was Disney Fox which were lined up perfect to take advantage.

I think people will continue to evolve and figure out ways around it. Yeah it will hurt a lot but people will grow businesses around those challenges. Ie the death of Blockbusters the rise of Netflix.

Basically despite the change we will find away, so keep your heads up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Maybe. But the problem I have with the pro-NN crowd is the stance that no one is against it unless they are misinformed or dumb. I am not accusing you of saying that but it could be inferred from the way you worded this above.

I am fully aware of the issue and I still do not like government regulation. Even if the intent is to fix other government regulation. The problem is lack of broadband ISP competition at the local level, but the answer to that problem is not to put into a place a draconian regulation the the federal level. That's why I am opposed to Title II.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Maybe. But the problem I have with the pro-NN crowd is the stance that no one is against it unless they are misinformed or dumb. I am not accusing you of saying that but it could be inferred from the way you worded this above.

I am fully aware of the issue and I still do not like government regulation. Even if the intent is to fix other government regulation. The problem is lack of broadband ISP competition at the local level, but the answer to that problem is not to put into a place a draconian regulation the the federal level. That's why I am opposed to Title II.

good point about competition, if there were competition, then the net neutrality would not be needed. the problem is service providers really do not have any competition in most areas. and they are trying to get laws passed in many states that protect their monopoly.

inmate369

Reaction score
i keep hearing that ISP will block and deny service to customers?? now why would they do that. they want money right, they dont want to loose customers. Also if you dont pay your bill they will block or deny you services, thats what there referring to

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Nope, I do not think those that are against NN are dumb. My point was that most people was unaware one way or another. And I am one who will listen to both sides of an argument and agree that there were issues with Title II. We discussed on this forum the challenges and frustrations as a result of cable companies being under the umbrella of a utility company.

So I am one who opens my mind to looking at both sides of a debate and welcomes those who agree or disagree with NN.

Plus there is always a debate whether to trust the government or business, and my thought is that they both can be corrupt so we need enough protections in place to protect consumers while allowing for free market.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Lol it's funny seeing people say 'oh they won't block/throttle/deny services because they are trying to make money and don't want to lose customers'.

Lol so what do you do when you don't have options to leave, then what? I hate company A so I'm going to company B. But wait, they are equally priced and equally bending you over. There's a strategic reason for similar pricing and servicing guys.

But whatever, ppl care more about Snapchat and non-essential gossip.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Majority of Americans are uninformed and careless about anything tech related. I can ask 10 of my friends what net neutrality is and only one will know.
Just like phones, they buy what is fed to them or what their friends have. You have government representatives that think Guam will tip over and sink if you put too many troops on it
You have a clown running white house with more lies in 1 year then other ones during their whole career!