need to sort contacts by date added

jdrockweller

Reaction score
I need the ability to sort my contacts by date added, so that the most recently added contacts will appear at the top of the list. It seems like this is a simple want, but after an hour of Googling and Forum searching, I have found nothing on the subject. Does anyone know if there is an app that makes this possible? or any other way to accomplish this type of sort?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I need the ability to sort my contacts by date added, so that the most recently added contacts will appear at the top of the list. It seems like this is a simple want, but after an hour of Googling and Forum searching, I have found nothing on the subject. Does anyone know if there is an app that makes this possible? or any other way to accomplish this type of sort?

I don't think so, and here's why. You've got a google phone which means all your contacts back up to gmail. When your contacts synced over they would have gone over in a batch.

That and the fact that this is the first time I've seen that question asked. I googled the question and I found 1 match. Your post here.

Reaction score
I don't think Android stores the timestamp of when a contact was added... just looked through the classes in the SDK and didn't see it anywhere. not sure if it's possible.

Ej4

Reaction score
Because people don't typically require a date but a name. If the date is that important put numbers in front of the name, which will keep that contact on the top of the the list.

OP
J

jdrockweller

Reaction score
The main reason I like to sort by recency is I tend to have the most often communication with my newest business contacts. If there is a 3rd party app like a contact manager that allows grouping to be done more easily than Androids very clunky, built in group filtering system, that might work. I've tried Clix Group Manager and its interface is obviously not designed to handle large numbers of contacts. I have nearly 1000 contacts, and none of these systems seem to be setup to efficiently deal with that level of contact management. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Reaction score
Could you more specifically detail what your requirements are?

From what I see of Clix it just adds some expandable list items that act as groups.

I've been looking for some projects to work on maybe you'll inspire me and it seems like your issue might affect a lot of people in your field.

So if you have specific needs be as specific as possible in what you'd like.