Need some opinions- Galaxy S4 or Droid Ultra

debgram

Reaction score
First off going to write how I use my phone cause I don't need all the bells and whistles. The only thing that I think I would only like on the S4 is the camera and the sd card slot. I have a bionic now and will be due for upgrade next week. I don't watch videos other than a couple youtube once in a while and don't save any movies. On the droid I have my applications and pictures and videos I take on the sd card. Since Ultra doesn't have an option to add a sd card how can I transfer my programs from the sd card onto the ultra? Like the bionic your can find the separate folder for internal storage and for the sd card, I'm assuming Ultra has that all combined. I have a couple of paid applications on my sd card and would like to keep them. I use my phone as our main home phone since we got rid of our landline. My phone is the main one so I get the better phones......lol. How sturdy are these 2? I read where S4 is flimsy and has a lot of bugs, is that true? I only use the phone to send text, take photos and videos when I don't have my regular camera with me. Only have a few songs saved on it and some ringtones. Don't use the gps, or listening to the radio. I just use the bare minimum applications and one game. Since both phones are the same price I need to know what would be my better option and not have all that bloat ware on my phone. Thanks:biggrin:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
- Pics and videos on your SD card can be transferred over by your PC or if you backed up to Google+
- Any saved app information on the SD card (along with other files) can be transferred over through a PC
- I have not had an issue with the durability or sturdiness of my s4, then again I never dropped it yet, but I'm sure it can take a couple drops. If you're really concerned I suggest you watch a couple "Drop videos" on YouTube. Just remember that if it drops at a certain angle and the screen shatters, it's cause it got hit on the right spot. This can be said for any phone.
- S4 is far from flimsy and I have not ran into any bugs. It's about as smooth as a phone can be and it's a powerhouse thanks to its specs.

With your personal use I think either phone will fill the role fine. It just depends on what you want out of your phone now and where you'll have to weigh in the pros and cons of each between the two.

OP
debgram

debgram

Reaction score
How is the battery life? I think the ultra has a stronger one, not sure. Do you have any cons on the S4? Is it true if I use the sd card slot on the S4, like my programs, they won't run from the sd card? I saw a post on the Verizon site where a guy said that. That would be my concern, what's the point of having the use of a sd card if you can't save a application to it and run it from there. I have most of my applications installed on my sd card on my bionic and they run from there.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
S4 has fantastic battery life. Can make it through a whole day easy with moderate to heavy use.

As for cons, I personally don't have any. GPS locks right away, always have a solid signal, battery life blew my Nexus out of the water and then some, and the display is top of the line. I guess one thing I can nitpick at are the icons of TouchWiz, which look too "fisher price" for my taste, and some of the features, but these can easily be changed or turned off. The OEM battery cover is a bit slippery so that's another gripe, but switch out the cover like I did or throw on a case and problem solved. Otherwise I haven't ran into any real flaws that hinder the experience of the phone, heck I use to be a flash-o-holic and I've been stock rooted for almost 2mo now.

I believe the latest update (which I did not accept as I wanted to keep root), allows apps to the SD card, but you may want to confirm that for yourself or with another member who accepted the update, hopefully they chime in.

OP
debgram

debgram

Reaction score
okay sounds good so far. Hope someone can chime in to let me know. I plan on getting a cover no matter which phone I choose. Thanks

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Droid ultra but that because i personally dont like samsung. Use their s3 last year for brief 2 weeks before i sold it. Play with my droid razr until i got the droid razr m recently .

Team DROID

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Unless you root the s4 battery isnt great. I got plenty of friend that will tell u this. And s4 lag a couple time on my testing with their device. Go with motorola if you want lagless os and good battery life.
okay sounds good so far. Hope someone can chime in to let me know. I plan on getting a cover no matter which phone I choose. Thanks

Team DROID

Last edited:
OP
debgram

debgram

Reaction score
Oh really, well I don't want to root it.

Unless you root the s4 battery isnt great. I got plenty of friend that will tell u this. And s4 lag a couple time on my testing with their device. Go with motorola if you want lagless os and good battery life.

Team DROID

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Team DROID
Battery life is subjective, of course. But for the two weeks or so I didn't use any apps or any mods to help with battery life, I was still getting more than enough to last me through my day (and this was the first two weeks where I literally couldn't put the phone down). Again, subjective, but it isn't a slouch on battery life by any means. Also regarding the lag, I've had a few hiccups, but I've also had those same ones with any other phone make/model. The phone is a powerhouse, but it still falls victim to the occasional hiccup, just like any other device. However, I never once had to restart my phone or force close an app such as the case with my Nexus towards the end of my time using it.

I have no experience with Moto's new lineup, but considering their specs I believe it would provide a fluid experience along with good battery life. I'm planning on stopping by the Verizon store just to check them out, but as far as I'm concerned, I have no regrets upgrading to my s4.

OP
debgram

debgram

Reaction score
Just like the bionic I have, a lot of people were having problems with theirs but I never had any problems with mine. I do use a battery saver called Juice defender which I like very well. There have been days where I wouldn't have to charge for 2 days but I only check ebay a little bit and maybe some googling and some days I don't even get any calls.

Battery life is subjective, of course. But for the two weeks or so I didn't use any apps or any mods to help with battery life, I was still getting more than enough to last me through my day (and this was the first two weeks where I literally couldn't put the phone down). Again, subjective, but it isn't a slouch on battery life by any means. Also regarding the lag, I've had a few hiccups, but I've also had those same ones with any other phone make/model. The phone is a powerhouse, but it still falls victim to the occasional hiccup, just like any other device. However, I never once had to restart my phone or force close an app such as the case with my Nexus towards the end of my time using it.

I have no experience with Moto's new lineup, but considering their specs I believe it would provide a fluid experience along with good battery life. I'm planning on stopping by the Verizon store just to check them out, but as far as I'm concerned, I have no regrets upgrading to my s4.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can pretty much say you'll get 2 days easy with either device, especially if you got that with your Bionic, which was notorious for poor battery life unlike the s4 and the yet to be really tested Ultra. I'm sure you'd get better battery life with either of these two than your Bionic.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes really i never issue with my bionic just for odd reason i like super amoled. Went and got the droid razr and sold the bionic. Plus i love kevlar back of it too.

Team DROID

Last edited:
OP
debgram

debgram

Reaction score
LOL, I'm still not sure. I may go with the Ultra only because I never had problems with Motorola, plus I never was able to get a new phone that just came out. I always had to get ones that were like a year old already.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Go with the ultra you wont regret it. I might as well go with that seeing that moto x wont come customizable unless im on contract price on att and maybe verizon might do the same. Plus the on screen button take to much space that can be 4.5 inches instead of the 4.7 advertise
Team DROID