Need some help please

rjw0501

Reaction score
This phone is a little more than I bargained for....

Before I smash it, I thought I would try to get a couple questions answered that I cant figure out.

1- I cant get the touch screen keypad to stop vibrating and making sounds every letter i type..i went into settings...and tried every possible combination and it still does it.

2- Sometimes when i hit the green messaging button, the google screen comes up, why?? I want to text, not search the web.

3- I cant email ringtones to myself like before, on my dare..now when i email them to my phone..i open the email...it plays...but wont give me the option to turn it into a ringtone.

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks
-Bob

Stigy

Reaction score
This phone is a little more than I bargained for....

Before I smash it, I thought I would try to get a couple questions answered that I cant figure out.

1- I cant get the touch screen keypad to stop vibrating and making sounds every letter i type..i went into settings...and tried every possible combination and it still does it.

2- Sometimes when i hit the green messaging button, the google screen comes up, why?? I want to text, not search the web.

3- I cant email ringtones to myself like before, on my dare..now when i email them to my phone..i open the email...it plays...but wont give me the option to turn it into a ringtone.

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks
-Bob

1. Menu > Settings > Sounds & Display > Haptic Feedback

2. Not sure about this one...

3. Try just transferring the ringtone to your SD card (in a ringtones) folder and see if you can use it as a ringtone.

Russell

Reaction score
Android is a lot different. I can only say I suggest sticking with it. You'll get the hang of it and then never look back. I'm waiting for my next paycheck to go get my Droid so I'm sorry I can't be much help with your specific questions yet.

Enjoy.
- Russell

OP
R

rjw0501

Reaction score
Stigy- thanks for you help...on the vibrating keypad,,,it still vibrates, and makes sounds. Any other ideas?

Earthwalker

Reaction score
Rjw,
I had a bit of a hard time with the touch screen as well. It is different and takes some practice to get used to it. I can say I am getting really happy with it.

I was able to turn of all the sounds with typing on the physical keyboard and touch screen use.
From your home screen menu -> Settings -> Audibal Selection. Turn that to off. Should be quiet.

I have not had the time to mess around with ring tones yet. On previous Android releases you put them in a Ringtone folder.

If not having the right ring tone is enough for you to smash a $500 piece of equipment. Know that I could find it a loving home! :)

Earthwalker

Reaction score
Rjw,
I had a bit of a hard time with the touch screen as well. It is different and takes some practice to get used to it. I can say I am getting really happy with it.

I was able to turn of all the sounds with typing on the physical keyboard and touch screen use.
From your home screen menu -> Settings -> Audibal Selection. Turn that to off. Should be quiet.

I have not had the time to mess around with ring tones yet. On previous Android releases you put them in a Ringtone folder.

If not having the right ring tone is enough for you to smash a $500 piece of equipment. Know that I could find it a loving home! :)

kaorte

Reaction score
The aplication "ring droid" allows you to take audio files that you have added or recorded and edit them into ringtones.

I think this is probably the best way to get ringtones.

Save MMS will allow you to save media attachments from texts and emails I think. You will probably still have to use ring droid after using this though.

Best off just manual adding tracks to your phone and creating ringtones with ring droid.

Droider

Reaction score
As mentioned, I think the easiest way to transfer mp3 files to your phone is to hook up the USB cable, mount the SD card, if a folder doesn't already exist on the SD card then add one named "ringtones", and copy/paste the MP3 into that folder. Then you can install the ring droid app with will help you select a 15 second segment of the song and set as ringtone.

Or instead of ring droid you could install the Market app, "Rings Extended". Then from your home screen, press Menu button, press Settings, press Sound & Display, press Phone Ringtone, you'll get a popup asking if you want to use "Android System" or "Rings Extended", press Rings Extended, press "Music track" option, then scroll to find the song that's on your SD card and press it.

If you want to save an mp3 attachment that you've sent to your gmail address, then use the browser to login to the gmail.com web page, open your message and when you click on the attachment link it will automatically download it to the "Downloads" folder on the SD card. You could then use ring droid or just open the "Music" player from the apps tray, find the song (it will show up on the list of songs/artists on your SD card), do a long press on the song name, and you will get a popup to "Use as phone ringtone."

Last edited:

andjarnic

Reaction score
Interesting..I tried turning off haptic feedback. When I dial on the screen, it still vibrates. I am thinking this is a bug. If you turn off haptic feedback, it should turn it off everywhere. If I have to turn off the screen sounds too, then it's still a bug. Haptic feedback is the vibrations that occur when you press any key.. and it should be a global setting for all things, not just some interfaces.

That said, it's completely possible the dialing app is doing the vibrate thing on it's own and not using the global haptic feedback setting. Still a bug.

mjs31

Reaction score
Settings then language and keyboard settings. Then find the section that says android onboard keyboard settings. This is where you turn keyboard vibrate and sound on/off.

mjs31

Reaction score
Android is a lot different. I can only say I suggest sticking with it. You'll get the hang of it and then never look back. I'm waiting for my next paycheck to go get my Droid so I'm sorry I can't be much help with your specific questions yet.

Enjoy.
- Russell

So true. I was frustrated at first but I absolutely love this phone. Give it time and learn a little each day. You will not look back.