Need some current info regarding tethering???

Shadowwolf167

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and hoping to find some information concerning tethering. I have an Incredible 2 with version 2.3.4. One of the reasons I opted for the Droid is the ability to tether my laptop to it for mobile broadband, but i am not willing to bend over and allow "Big Red" to rape me with its new broadband pricing. I know that in early spring verizon took measures to eliminate tethering with 3rd party programs etc.. My question is 2 part.. Is it possible to tether my laptop to my phone for broadband without paying verizon now? and if so.... Will someone please offer me some assistance in perfroming the necessary steps to make this accessible to me? Thank you in advance for your help.

A Droid Noob

ibizian

Reaction score
Root your phone and then use a tethering app. I use Barnacle as it is fast easy and requires pushing one button after installing.

Incredible 2 - All Things Root - Android Forums

szym.net » Barnacle Wifi Tether

Start with that and see if it works for you. There are many forums that deal with the Incredible. Google is a rooters best friend!

If you don't want to root then there is a much harder method that requires you to reprogram the radios. Read this [GUIDE]TBH inspired Free wireless tethering hack instructions for Droid 3 - xda-developers

OP
S

Shadowwolf167

Reaction score
ok thanks for the input. Does barnacle allow you to tether without verizon picking up on it and billing you?

ibizian

Reaction score
Yes and no. It sends the Wifi data as if it came from your phone. I have heard of cases where people were downloading large volumes over the tether and Verizon caught on. Unless you plan to torrent or download hd videos you should have no worries with barnacle.
Read the article I listed on changing the radio address for clarity on how mobile phones send and receive data naturally and via tether. It will make it all clear.

Bottom line you should be just fine thousands of people tether every day with no issues. Abuse it and you might get caught.

ygreenes

Reaction score
Root your phone and then use a tethering app. I use Barnacle as it is fast easy and requires pushing one button after installing.

Incredible 2 - All Things Root - Android Forums

szym.net » Barnacle Wifi Tether

Start with that and see if it works for you. There are many forums that deal with the Incredible. Google is a rooters best friend!

If you don't want to root then there is a much harder method that requires you to reprogram the radios. Read this [GUIDE]TBH inspired Free wireless tethering hack instructions for Droid 3 - xda-developers

This is for Motorola phones

tappety talk

htcdiord

Reaction score
Try easytether, no root needed, Verizon won't know if you are using it. The only bad thing is you have to use your usb but other than that works great

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums