Need help with a video on my Droid Bionic

metalhead520

Reaction score
I put my dvd on my computer and cut a portion of it and formatted it 960x540 MP4 and transferred it to my Bionic. Sad thing is, I thought it was gonna be full screen video after putting it on my phone, its not. The borders are cut about 15-20% all the way around the video, so its not "fitting to screen" I guess you could say. Do I need a different resolution for the Bionic then to make it full screen on playback? The sound and video play back flawlessly so there are no things to fix when it comes to that, just the screen size fitting to full screen. Please help guys cause I really want this on my phone so I can take it with me.

-Nick

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
What program are you using to rip?

OP
M

metalhead520

Reaction score
Windows Live Movie Maker to cut the part of the movie i want, then it saves in avi....then i used format factory to put it back to mp4

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Windows Live Movie maker can rip DVDs?

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I've been using Wondershare DVD Ripper Platinum and love the simplicity of it. It is $40, but the user interface is so smooth and easy to use. I tried many free programs but I didn't find that the user interfaces weren't very friendly. You should check it out.

I usually rip the movie at a bit rate of 1500 and 1260x980. An 1:40 movie is around 1.1GB.

I usually keep 10 off my favorite movies on my phone for traveling.

Sent from my Red Eclipsed Droid Bionic

OP
M

metalhead520

Reaction score
I already have the MP4 file on my computer, I just dont know why 960x540 for converting isnt full screen when viewing on the Bionic...I'm so confused here on what to do and what resolution to use. Should I use something bigger like 1024x768 or higher?

OP
M

metalhead520

Reaction score
Im really stumped, ive tried 960x540 and 1260x980 but neither go full screen when im trying to watch it. Does anyone know of the correct resolution that will make the video fit to screen/full screen instead of really small. I really have no clue on which one to use :-(.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
If I'm getting how you're doing this:

You:
- Rip your scenes from the DVD
- Take those rips and covert them to .mp4

It's possible that it's something with the programs you're using, or something wrong with when you rip the scenes.

OP
M

metalhead520

Reaction score
From what i looked up on the net, they say the Droid Bionic only can play back video files 2gb or less, if that wasnt the case id load the whole dang dvd on it lol. The entire 5.2gb dvd is already converted to mp4 on my computer but when i find the segment i want and put it on the Bionic they just dont play full screen/fit to bionic screen size.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
From what i looked up on the net, they say the Droid Bionic only can play back video files 2gb or less, if that wasnt the case id load the whole dang dvd on it lol. The entire 5.2gb dvd is already converted to mp4 on my computer but when i find the segment i want and put it on the Bionic they just dont play full screen/fit to bionic screen size.

The file size has to do with the file system of the SD card. FAT32 only does like 4GB files or something like that.

I would try one of the two programs posted here. Just to see if that fixes it.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Omg the new droidforums app just deleted my whole dang post
D:
Anyway I'll try and cover everything I had typed out...
First try and double tap the video while it's playing, it may zoom in to full screen. Also I highly recommend MX video player from the play store.

Windows live movie maker likes to add black borders all the way around letterbox videos, in my experience. Especially if you save the video in a different resolution than it started as. Make sure you create your own render profile for WLMM so that it doesn't do any scaling and saves the video at the same resolution that it started with.

Even further, dvd-video discs don't hold video at any higher resolution than 720x576 pixels, so you shouldn't be ripping at any higher resolution than that.
720x480 is common for movies.
It's also not entirely uncommon for DVDs to have the top and bottom black bars hard coded, in which case your bionic will of course render them as well, giving the appearance of a black border all the way around the video when played on your bionic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

lgtrumpet

Reaction score
I am trying Pavtube ($35 on sale for a bargain of $16.80) and tried using settings of 1280 x 720 and bit rate of 900 and do not get full screen on playback.:sad: The program does offer a wide variety of possible settings. Do you actually get full screen, edge to edge using 1260 x 980 and bit rate of 1500?? That would be GREAT! :biggrin:

Sent from my Droid BIONIC

I've been using Wondershare DVD Ripper Platinum and love the simplicity of it. It is $40, but the user interface is so smooth and easy to use. I tried many free programs but I didn't find that the user interfaces weren't very friendly. You should check it out.

I usually rip the movie at a bit rate of 1500 and 1260x980. An 1:40 movie is around 1.1GB.

I usually keep 10 off my favorite movies on my phone for traveling.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Lgtrumpet,
It does depend on the video as well and not just the program. I do get full screen with almost all newer movies. It depends on the original resolution. For example, I have Act of Valor on my phone it is full screen besides the widescreen lines because the movie an original resolution higher than what I'm ripping it to. On the other hand, other movies, mostly older or animated ones, don't have a 1280x960 originally so when you are are shrinking the file it isn't going up change that. This is just my experience.

Probably 95% or more of my movies are full screen on my bionic. every now and then I will come across one that doesn't want to play in full screen.

It also could be a setting in your video player such as having play full screen or the original file size. I'm using QuickPic. I haven't used the stock video player in a while.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited: