Need help rooting my Droid 2 after verizon updated to gingerbread??

s10rodder

Reaction score
Alright, A couple days ago my phone automatically updated, I searched around and found out that means I now have gingerbread?? Now I no longer have root access and would love to have it back... I have found hundreds of threads on how to do this, but no clue which one to try, as I am a newb and pretty nervous... Can someone point me to a thread to explain the easiest way to get my root back? If there is a one click, that would be fantastic...if not, just need simple...lol I NEED my tether back!!! Thanks for any help!!

OP
s10rodder

s10rodder

Reaction score
not sure if I am doing something wrong or not, but went there, DL'ed the zip file, and I couldn't find the exact file that he said to open...but opened something, it runs, it has a button on the bottom that says root your phone...and it just says, "searching for phone"...I have tried all the different "USB connection modes" and my pc is recognizing the phone, but this program is not...how long does it take for it to recognize?? Sorry I am so ignorant on the subject...

cwilkins

Reaction score
The "one click" exe file didn't work for me. There's another that has a bat file full of adb commands. It's made for DroidX/Droid3 with stock GB and only gets you part way there. You can then get an adb shell with a hash pompt, remount root filesystem r/w, copy Superuser.apk, su and busybox to the root filesystem and you're good to go.

At least until you try to tether. That's another story...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The "one click" exe file didn't work for me. There's another that has a bat file full of adb commands. It's made for DroidX/Droid3 with stock GB and only gets you part way there. You can then get an adb shell with a hash pompt, remount root filesystem r/w, copy Superuser.apk, su and busybox to the root filesystem and you're good to go.

At least until you try to tether. That's another story...

That's not true. The D3 method is working fine. Your phone has to be set to "charge only," and USB debugging must be enabled.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

cwilkins

Reaction score
That's not true. The D3 method is working fine. Your phone has to be set to "charge only," and USB debugging must be enabled.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I misspoke. Thinking back, I aborted out of the DX/D3 exe method at the opening screen, so that method may have indeed worked fine, I'll never know. (I was more comfortable with the bat file method because I could easily read what it was going to do.)

-cw-

hurleygirlie05

Reaction score
desperate!

well, like everyone else, after my phone updated to GB I no longer had root access. i tried the One Click D3 root method and it did not work. i thought flashing back tlo Froyo and then re-rooting would be the best solution. ki ran the SBF file and RSD Lite said ass. Andy android and the ! are now on my screen when I hit x and power on but when I press the search button, nothing happens!! i am stuck once again. i flashed again and was hoping that would fix it, but to no avail. i no longer have internet at home since I rely on Wireless Tether, my D2 is in limbo and I am using my old, finicky HTC Touch Pro 2. everything takes 2x as long and some things I cannot access so trying to search for a solution to my problem is making me feel hopeless. if anyone can help, i would be forever indebted. ;-l)= but seriously, anyone?...anyone? :*-(thanks in advance,hurleygirlie05

KalKal

Reaction score
you need to do the Motorola one-click root.

in order to make sure the process works, the debugging needs to be working as said above. To make sure it is, there has to be a "syncing" symbol next to the 3G symbol.
to make it work, trying switching between the usb modes and try connecting it to different usb ports. You can also try a different computer. I found that my desktop dislikes doing all this rooting mumbo jumbo, so i turn to my netbook for that haha.

How to: Root the DROID2, DROIDX2, DROIDX, and DROID3 Running Gingerbread - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

hurleygirlie05

Reaction score
you need to do the Motorola one-click root.

in order to make sure the process works, the debugging needs to be working as said above. To make sure it is, there has to be a "syncing" symbol next to the 3G symbol.
to make it work, trying switching between the usb modes and try connecting it to different usb ports. You can also try a different computer. I found that my desktop dislikes doing all this rooting mumbo jumbo, so i turn to my netbook for that haha.

How to: Root the DROID2, DROIDX2, DROIDX, and DROID3 Running Gingerbread - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Thanks for the response. The problem I am having is now my phone is stuck. I cannot power it on normal. My choices are to power on while holding x and have Andy the Android and the ! and then clear memory, cache and reboot OR to power on and have the Motorola M on the screen... When I did the SBF flash, RSD Lite said PASS. I tried it twice and am still not having any success...

hurleygirlie05

Reaction score
Flashed and BACK TO FROYO!

Didn't hear back from you after the last e-mail, but what happens after you clear data and cache and then reboot? Does it still get stuck on the M?

Thanks for checking in! Turns out I did not have the full sbf file. Another wonderful user shared the full file with me via dropbox since I couldn't download it from the site you sent me.

Thank you!