need help getting work email using K9

NunyaBiznas

Reaction score
First time to the forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot. I searched for 'K9' and found nothing.

I'm trying to use K9 mail to get my work email on my less than 24 hour old Droid. Keep getting various errors after trying many combinations. I am able to get work email via the standard email app that came with the droid but want to use K9.

One thing I needed to do with the standard app to get it to work was use a domain name which I entered this way 'COMPANY\smithj'. Below are the settings I copied from Outlook Web Access when logged in via a computer.(note that my email adress is 'jmith...' while my username is 'smithj'

Mailbox owner: John Smith [[email protected]]
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Outlook Web Access experience: Premium
User language: English (United States)
User time zone: (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Exchange mailbox address: /o=COMPANY/ou=COMPANY/cn=Recipients/cn=smithr
Outlook Web Access host address: https://webmail.company.org/owa
Outlook Web Access version: 8.1.375.2
Outlook Web Access host name: webmail.company.org
S/MIME control: not installed
Client Access server name: sp25.company.org
Exchange Client Access server .NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.3603
Client Access server operating system version: Microsoft Windows NT 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2
Client Access server operating system language: en-US
Microsoft Exchange Client Access server version: 8.1.240.0
Client Access server language: en-US
Client Access server time zone: Eastern Standard Time
Microsoft Exchange Client Access server platform: 64bit
Mailbox server name: sp25.company.org
Mailbox server Microsoft Exchange version: 8.1.240.0
Other Microsoft Exchange server roles currently installed on the Client Access server: Mailbox, Hub Transport
Authentication type associated with this Outlook Web Access session: Basic
Public logon: No

What info do I need to enter into K9 to get it to work?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not the answer you want to hear, I'm sure, but I'd strongly recommend that you try "Touchdown" (available as a paid app in the Market) to handle Microsoft Exchange Email on your phone.

You may be able to get K-9 to work as you prefer (It's by far the most capable email client for the Droid, I think), but if your time is worth more than $.50 per hour, I suspect you'd be better off with Touchdown, an app that is specifically designed to deal with the problems you're encountering.

Reaction score
What is wrong with the standard email client shipped with the Android OS? We have configured several Android OS devices to connect with Exchange and have had virtually zero issues.
You might want to consult your IT department before just connecting a data device, they may also give you the information you need.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with the standard email client shipped with the Android OS? We have configured several Android OS devices to connect with Exchange and have had virtually zero issues.
You might want to consult your IT department before just connecting a data device, they may also give you the information you need.

Suffice to say that different users have had very different experiences. Further, the variation in Exchange Server configurations is, I suspect, the heart of the problems people have had.

Your advice to consult with the user's IT department is a good one IF (a) the IT department has a clue regarding their own configuration and (b) have a cooperative attitude (or aren't hamstrung by corporate policy.) Unfortunately, not all folks have IT departments that meet those standards.

As far as the use of K-9 is concerned, it is simply an alternate email client that has many more features than are available on the stock "email" app on the Droid. And "touchdown" provides (I believe since I don't use it) a more familiar "outlook-esque" UI and features than "email," "gmail," or K-9.