Need Help Finding App

abraham3660

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm looking for an app that will automatically connect me to my wifi network, but then turn off wifi when my phone get out of range of my wifi network. The reason I want this is because I just got my Bionic, but unfortunately had to switch to the 2gb plan and when you just leave wifi on its constantly searching for wifi which drains the battery. I know i can just turn off wifi when I leave my house, but it would be nice if it just automatically turned on and off without having to manually switch it on and off. I know it probably seems like I'm lazy lol. Thank You

DaddysDroid

Reaction score
Are u sure it doesn't do this on its own??

My D3 does this automatically....at least I think it does....as soon as I leave my house it goes to 3G. And from what I can tell it doesn't keep searching for the Wifi connection.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Droichuck

Reaction score
I have been using Y5 Battery Saver for a long time, and it just works like it should. It locks on to the Wi-Fi network that you want, not constantly searching and draining the battery. I have used it on my original droid, and now the Bionic. I am satisfied that it works.

LocoRon

Reaction score
Tasker will do this. Locale (and probably others) should be able to do this as well (locale may or may not need a plug-in; I don't know, as I don't have that app).

To turn it back on when you're home, you would need another way of checking location. In my case, I have tasker set up to check what cell tower it is connected to. If it is on one my "home" towers, it will change settings for home use (in my particular case, it deactivates the pattern lock), and when it is on any other tower, it changes settings for "away" use (it reactivates the lock pattern; you could easily change this to toggling wifi, though).

A couple of things to note: With this method, there can be a wide range of what constitutes my "home area", as each cell tower has about a 2km connection radius. However, this is also the most battery efficient method. As you want to toggle wifi (the second most efficient, and more accurate method), obviously you can't use wifi to determine location (unless you want it to automatically toggle after a set period of time to check for a known network).

There are some settings that tasker (and presumably other automation apps) cannot toggle in Gingerbread, however the Secure Settings app will allow this. Some settings can only be toggled if you have root.

Last edited:

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Are u sure it doesn't do this on its own??

My D3 does this automatically....at least I think it does....as soon as I leave my house it goes to 3G. And from what I can tell it doesn't keep searching for the Wifi connection.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

It keeps searching.... You just don't see it as you have already set that as known and auto connect. If you were to set for abuse of open networks it would pop up around town unless toggled off.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

hydro556

Reaction score
Why did you have to switch to the 2Gb plan? Shouldnt you be grandfathered?