[Need Advise] develop apps running in android

garyyee

Reaction score
Dear All Friends,

I am new to android app development but I have basic programming experience :)

I planning to develop an application that can running in android platform and hope you can give me some ideas and tips.

Basically I want to build an application for the user to do the daily inventory records.
These daily inventory record will need to be consolidate back to a central computer (we can connect via cable to update), so the records are updated in one place and able to generate reports.

I am thinking of MS excel and MS Access, but I am not sure whether that is possible.

I hope you can share me your generous idea.

Many thanks.

Gary

danialgoodwin

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

In the past few weeks, have you gotten any further on your idea?

Your app idea is possible, though the data will be first consolidated on a database (Ex: MySQL, NoSQL, SQLite, and Microsoft, Google, and Amazon each have their own type of database you can use as a central location). Then you can allow users to save or export data in a format they prefer (easiest one in my opinion is CSV). They could save the data to their phone and use a cable to transfer the file to the computer, or it could do the connection through WiFi. You could have an option in the app to send the data or summarized report to the user's email.

There are many different ways to create each app.

When starting off developing apps, the best way to gain experience is to make many small apps for different purposes. Then, slowly just start adding more functionality to each of the different apps. When you are first starting off, the official Android site, Getting Started | Android Developers, is going to be your best friend. The page I linked you to has all the information you need for your app.

Then, once you would like to create apps to put on the market, you may want to do some background research to see if there are already apps out there like the one you want to develop. Usually there are, but by looking at those apps, you can probably find a way to do something better or create more functionality. That way, you can distinguish yourself and people would want to download your app over others.

Let me know if you have any more questions,
- Danial -
App Developer

ps - IMHO, all Android developers should browse through Android Developers in order to see the paradigms and to know what is possible or not.

AlinaBillingsley

Reaction score
Which java version should i use to develop apps for android?

Lately i have been thinking of developing apps for android,for now all i know is that android apps are developed on java.
but different different versions of java really confuses me,please help me figure out which ones i should really bother about.
And if u can tell the usage of different terms of,that would be REALLY helpful for me in the future.
I have listed down a few terms,please help me understand them and figure out what they are used for.
1.JAVA SE
2.JAVA ME
3.JAVA EE
4.JAVA JRE
5.JAVA 7u3
6,JDK

Any kind of help would be really appreciated.

azdrifter

Reaction score
Lately i have been thinking of developing apps for android,for now all i know is that android apps are developed on java.
but different different versions of java really confuses me,please help me figure out which ones i should really bother about.
And if u can tell the usage of different terms of,that would be REALLY helpful for me in the future.
I have listed down a few terms,please help me understand them and figure out what they are used for.
1.JAVA SE
2.JAVA ME
3.JAVA EE
4.JAVA JRE
5.JAVA 7u3
6,JDK

Any kind of help would be really appreciated.

I'm not sure if you have already visited this web page but here is a link that should answer most of your questions.Building Your First App | Android Developers