NDrive Navigation Application

AndroidMentor

Reaction score
I read that NDrive, a nav. app, is having a promotion price for the UK and USA Droid users?

does anyone have more information?

anyone ever use their software?:blackdroid:

Reaction score
Why would you replace Google Navigation? I've found it to be a million times better than any other nav. I have a Garmin navigation system that I never ever use, because Google Nav is so much better.

techguru

Reaction score
Why would you replace Google Navigation? I've found it to be a million times better than any other nav. I have a Garmin navigation system that I never ever use, because Google Nav is so much better.

Because last year Google dropped their contracts with Navteq and TeleAtlas to provide map data (because they planned on offering Nav for free in Android, and Navteq doesn't like that) so they are using the US Census "Tiger" database as their mapping basis, and it is horribly inaccurate when compared to Navteq.

If Garmin offered an Android app, and not just an Android phone on T-Mobile, I would buy it in a second.

Google nav is a fun toy, and I'll use it for general directions, but if I need to be somewhere I have never been and I need to be their on time, I pull out my Garmin (which uses Navteq maps).

Alan

techguru

Reaction score
I read that NDrive, a nav. app, is having a promotion price for the UK and USA Droid users?

does anyone have more information?

anyone ever use their software?:blackdroid:

Where did you read this? It is not on their web site, and I haven't found anything. Downloading to try now to see if their maps are better than Google (I suspect they are), but all I see is that there is a 7 day trial on the maps, not anything about a discount or promotion.

Alan

techguru

Reaction score
Now that it is installed, I see that the provider is TeleAtlas. This is the same provider as TomTom (in fact, TomTom now owns them). I have always thought they were a little less accurate then Navteq/Garmin, but decent. Good in cities, a little less accurate in rural areas.

You an get the US for 20 Euros (~$25) or all North America for 40 Euros (~$50).

That is not bad compared to Garmin pricing, whcih is not even available for Android except in their NuviPhone which is just on T-Mobile.

Alan

techguru

Reaction score
Well, I appear to be talking to myself here, so I won't bother posting a full review, but I gave this a test drive over the weekend. While the maps are more accurate than Google, as I predicted, the routing algorithms are pretty poor compared to any Garmin device or device using Navteq maps I have used. Also, it is not well integrated with Android. Even Garmin MobileXT on Windows Mobile and Blackberry can do Google searches, but not Ndrive.

I'll watch for improvements, but I don't expect to be spending money on this. Just waiting for Wikitude Drive's next beta (they use Navteq, but the first Beta was pretty bad as far as features) or for Garmin to release an Android app.

Alan

OldguyMark

Reaction score
Well, I appear to be talking to myself here, so I won't bother posting a full review, but I gave this a test drive over the weekend. While the maps are more accurate than Google, as I predicted, the routing algorithms are pretty poor compared to any Garmin device or device using Navteq maps I have used. Also, it is not well integrated with Android. Even Garmin MobileXT on Windows Mobile and Blackberry can do Google searches, but not Ndrive.

I'll watch for improvements, but I don't expect to be spending money on this. Just waiting for Wikitude Drive's next beta (they use Navteq, but the first Beta was pretty bad as far as features) or for Garmin to release an Android app.

Alan

Lol - I'm listening - thanks for the info.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam.

Spam, lovely Spam, wonderful Spam

OP
A

AndroidMentor

Reaction score
Im listening

Jeeze, no ya I'm listening, sorry been seriously distracted by work lately. Thank you for running down my ill informed conjecture so quickly. I deal a lot with international business and was speaking with an individual from the UK who mentioned it briefly. I cannot, however find any additional information on said promotion.

In response to the nay-sayers of additional GPS nav. apps other than google, i find the NDrive apps (Most 'after market' nav apps) to be more accurate and contain more features than google. It depends on what circumstance you will be using it in, for example I travel internationally and my company pays for apps. NDrive is really really popular in Europe especially western which is where i am doing business regularly. Not so much in the USA however.

@ 20$ USD i don't think its bad, it takes a while to get used to the UI and to be able to navigate the way you want. I would however agree that the navigation algorithm could use work. Does that have anything to do with the map provider or is it strictly development?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would you replace Google Navigation?
Missing features. No local storage of maps. Maybe he doesn't like the TTS voice.

Why would you assume that one size fits all? Not everyone shares your needs/wants (as with anything -- not just GPS nav solutions) and may not find Google Maps Nav sufficient.

Last edited:

techguru

Reaction score
Route algorithms can be either the map provider or the software developer, or a combination. Based on my experiences, this looks like Teleatlas routing, at least on the us maps. I would certainly use this on a trip to Europe. The price is Way better than Europe maps for my Garmin.

BillTheCat

Reaction score
Installed NDrive the other day after my Garmin unit was swiped from my car. (Hidden in glove box, mount out of sight, but they still picked my car for some unknown reason)

I DL'ed the full North America maps on a 7 day free trial, which took 3GB of SD car space & about 6 hours to DL. Luckily, I started in the evening.

I like the NDrive interface for the most part. Some of the yes/no dialog boxes have needlessly small buttons, which is odd, since the buttons for the navigation features & options are nice & large as one would hope.

My first impressions of the navigation were that the routing made good sense in the suburban Tampa Bay area, but the voice instructions did not match the routing well. I'd approach a 90-degree intersection where I was to turn right, and the screen would show this, but the maneuver icon and voice instructions were skipping that maneuver & telling me about the left hand turn coming up after that. And no, they never did tell me about the right turn. There are also places where it tells you to keep right or keep left, and it actually means to TURN right or left.

But be that as it may, I was initially OK with its overall performance. I can get used to certain idiosyncrasies.

What worried me in a serious way was that it suddenly crashed as I drove just past where it was telling me a destination was (it was slightly off, as is to be expected). When I restarted the app, a pop-up asked me if I wished to continue my previous navigation. I chose "no," and nothing happened. Pop-up stayed, no activity. I tried "yes," and nothing happened.

I used Taskiller to close the app, then re-started it. Same result. I re-booted the phone, then re-started NDrive. Same result.

I just finished deleting the app, rebooting the phone, and reinstalling the app. It appears to be functioning now, in that the program is running. I'll be running it constantly throughout the week before I decide if I want to drop $50 on the maps.

Seems difficult to find much info on Navigation apps with offline maps for Android. (I vacation in the mountains out of cell signal range, frequently, need offline maps) Most of the reviews I have found online are for UK & European based apps, most of which aren't available for the North American market. I see that Navigon is working on an Android app, but cannot find an ETA. I'd love to see iNav app, but they don't even have an iCrack app, so I doubt we'll see them on Android any time soon.