Navionics Mobile Released! Nautical Charts

INTREPID-NY

Reaction score
Navionics Applications for Android

Notes

It's the only nautical chart app that does not require an active INTERNET connection.
Works well, but I noticed one bug: When you close the app, the gps icon remains on (at least with the Droid Incredible) so you must use a task killer to close Navionics Mobile (app name: USAEast for me). Why for the love of god can't all apps have a simple EXIT button. I just don't get it. Anyway, as a licensed captain I was waiting for Navionics Mobile to come out for Android. You still can't import routes or waypoints, but you can create them on the device and export them to Google Earth.

Geowake is the only other app and it's very slow (even on wifi). Will not work offline.

Note: It takes 15 minutes to download and decompress the charts on your Incredible, so you must use a WiFi connection. I have my phone set to not sleep when plugged in. I don't know what would happen if it went to sleep while downloading the charts.

It's good. Haven't used it on the water yet. It's nice that the charts are preloaded with no internet connection required. No multitouch (pinch and zoom). You can double tap or use the zoom buttons. Good clarity - standard Navionics Charts. Ports and Services Listing as well. You can create Routes and save them. To find find them click on the search button (this is where the ports and services are located as well). To rename a route, you must click on the route on the chart (can't rename it from the route list). It needs tweaking and there is the bug about closing the app but gps remains active (you will need to kill the app or you will drain your battery). You can use any task killer or Menu, Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, FORCE STOP. The app will be listed as USAEast or USAWest, etc.

Overall a very good app. esp since it's the only one available. Navionics is a descent company and I'm sure they will improve it as well. The chart data is excellent.

The only bummer is that you can not import routes. You can export routes via email or to google earth (with the Navionics plugin).

The app is just a 2nd backup for me and when I want to check a chart when I'm not on the boat or at home. Or perhaps when I'm on vacation and a rent a boat without a chartplotter, etc. It's nice to have a chart at your fingertips.

I'll let you know how well it works on the water tracking the boat's position and course on the chart.

May not be available for all areas yet - but will be by next week:

Thanks for your email and interest in our apps.
Navionics Mobile apps are already available for Android. We are uploading them to the market in these days. Check the market and if your app isn’t there yet, wait a couple more days, you will find it by the end of next week.

Let us know how you enjoy it.

We’re available for any further information or help you might need.

Please visit our website for more information on Navionics charts for your iPhone: www.navionics.com
• Mobile Marine Chart catalog
• Mobile Lake Map catalog
• Mobile FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions)
• Click on: Navionics Mobile User Guide
• Watch our video: [video=youtube;TMaZEXCsv60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMaZEXCsv60"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMaZEXCsv60[/video]
• Contact us: [email protected]

Navionics Mobile Team
Email: [email protected]

Last edited:

tag0496

Reaction score
just got this app.,just wondering how long it took you to down load charts to phone i am on my third try ,gets just about done then starts again each time @30-45 min?any ideas?

thnx,
tal

OP
I

INTREPID-NY

Reaction score
No idea. Use WiFi only and set you phone to never sleep or never sleep when plugged in. It only took me 10 - 15 minutes to download and decompress.

dynasty82

Reaction score
navionics

i just purchased this app and will be playing around with it this afternoon. Ill be using it on our fishing trip tomorrow in the chesapeake bay. Ill post my results and thoughts tomorrow when i get back. hopefully it works pretty well.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Navionics on DroidX

The app downloaded slowly until I connected to WiFi then it downloaded in less than a minute. It is very good, charts routes well, has good definition, and tracks perfectly with GPS. This is an incredible chartplotter backup and is recommended for all serious sailors and wannabes.:icon_ banana:

I also tried two $0.99 aps GeoWake and Navigator Full, and they are just worth what you pay for them.:icon_evil: