Navigation Voice change?

st3V3

Reaction score
My brother was telling me how on his GPS he can get various voices online. So can I get any voices or is there an app to back the Navigation app to change the voice? Not really a big deal, just looking for something fun to do.

Thanks!

Big Lou

Reaction score
For Google Maps Navigation, unfortunately the answer is no. But don't fret, Navigation is still in beta! I'm sure Google will be releasing a lot of new features soon--hopefully one of which is a customizable voice.

My old Garmin let me change between sex and language. I hear newer ones let you download voices like Homer Simpson and Darth Vader. I'd love this on my Droid!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For Google Maps Navigation, unfortunately the answer is no. But don't fret, Navigation is still in beta! I'm sure Google will be releasing a lot of new features soon--hopefully one of which is a customizable voice.

My old Garmin let me change between sex and language. I hear newer ones let you download voices like Homer Simpson and Darth Vader. I'd love this on my Droid!

ROFLOL, I don't think I want either one of those guys giving me directions. I'll take my standard Google Voice.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ozzy on my Tom Tom one is a blast. I tried Homer, that needed some work, it was a cheap imitation. My kids want Sponge Bob, but I think I'd smash my GPS first.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
To change the voice for apps that use TTS (like Google Maps Nav) you need to change the TTS engine.

Try SVOX or Loquendo. Both can be found in the Market. Neither are free. The SVOX engine is free but you have to pay for voices. Loquendo charges for the engine.

If you're trying them out be sure to actually test them with the apps you intend to use them with. Loquendo's sample was great but the voice was clipped when using Google Maps Nav so I ended up going with SVOX. I have no idea if things have changed at all with Loquendo since I tried it.

NebulaOcton

Reaction score

ROFLOL, I don't think I want either one of those guys giving me directions. I'll take my standard Google Voice.

*heavy mechanical Breathing* "Turn left in 100 parsecs"

"You did not turn left" *heavy mechanical Breathing* Your throat tightens as you are choked by the force inside your droid.... "You in the passenger seat, you are now the driver..."

Big Lou

Reaction score
To change the voice for apps that use TTS (like Google Maps Nav) you need to change the TTS engine.

Try SVOX or Loquendo. Both can be found in the Market. Neither are free. The SVOX engine is free but you have to pay for voices. Loquendo charges for the engine.

If you're trying them out be sure to actually test them with the apps you intend to use them with. Loquendo's sample was great but the voice was clipped when using Google Maps Nav so I ended up going with SVOX. I have no idea if things have changed at all with Loquendo since I tried it.
Nice! I'll give this a try!