Navigation sound problem

campbm56

Reaction score
THIS ISSUE WAS RESOLVED, PLEASE LOOK BELOW FOR FIX

Today, while I was trying to use navigation I encountered a problem. It would give me the directions without a problem, but for some reason the audio to tell me where to go is all messed up. It sounds like it is telling me an XML file that it is trying to access. It is just reading the file name. It is very annoying also. It goes away if I mute it, but I want the sound for navigation. I tried reinstalling maps, but it didn't do anything. PLEASE HELP!!

Last edited:

golfgirl8350

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. The female voice is now a slow deep sluggish voice repeating what sounds like weird directions and URL addresses. Never had this problem before, and uninstalling the latest navigator updates did nothing.

Last edited:
OP
C

campbm56

Reaction score
This is exactly what mine is doing. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP US!

Reaction score
You could try uninstalling and reinstalling google maps (which includes the navigation) and see if that helps.

golfgirl8350

Reaction score
I found the answer to the navigator voice problem

My Droid 2 voice navigation worked fine and then in the middle of a navigation it changed to the male synthesized voice spouting URLs and nothing useful. Somehow, without any help from me, my TTS changed. Here's info and the fix:

Do you have Google Translate with eSpeak TTS installed? TTS stands for Text-To-Speech, which is what they call software that turns text into speech. There may be two TTS engines on your phone, Pico and eSpeak. The difference between Pico & eSpeak is that Pico sounds like a pleasant, normal person and eSpeak sounds like a 1980's synthesized voice. Pico is Google's engine, so if you're on an Android phone it might work better for you.

The problem with Google Maps turn by turn voice directions apparently lies with the Text-to-speech engine. eSpeak TTS doesn’t play well with Google Maps 5.0! Go figure!

To fix the problem go to settings, Voice input & output, Text-to-speech settings, Under Default Engine choose Pico TTS. This corrected the problem in Google Maps & Navigator. Hopefully this solution will work for you also.

golfgirl8350

Reaction score
Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help. It's not the voice software, it's a text to speech (TTS) issue, and apparently pretty common with some phones.

Last edited:
OP
C

campbm56

Reaction score
My Droid 2 voice navigation worked fine and then in the middle of a navigation it changed to the male synthesized voice spouting URLs and nothing useful. Somehow, without any help from me, my TTS changed. Here's info and the fix:

Do you have Google Translate with eSpeak TTS installed? TTS stands for Text-To-Speech, which is what they call software that turns text into speech. There may be two TTS engines on your phone, Pico and eSpeak. The difference between Pico & eSpeak is that Pico sounds like a pleasant, normal person and eSpeak sounds like a 1980's synthesized voice. Pico is Google's engine, so if you're on an Android phone it might work better for you.

The problem with Google Maps turn by turn voice directions apparently lies with the Text-to-speech engine. eSpeak TTS doesn’t play well with Google Maps 5.0! Go figure!

To fix the problem go to settings, Voice input & output, Text-to-speech settings, Under Default Engine choose Pico TTS. This corrected the problem in Google Maps & Navigator. Hopefully this solution will work for you also.

This fixed the problem. Thank you very much for this. I have looked all over for a solution, but apparently I wasn't looking hard enough. Thank you again