Navigation/GPS problem

navigator

Reaction score
Running orig Droid not rooted with 2.2.1. Tried to use navigation and kept getting message..."checking navigation availability" Noticed GPS icon was not showing at top of home page. Checked settings and GPS shows "on"

Turned GPS on and off...no change
Turned phone off and on...no change
Pulled battery and restarted phone...GPS came on briefly then flicked and went off. (very disturbing)

Any ideas?

D1motoBRICE

Reaction score
I've had the same problem for the last 3 days. Tried to navigate a few places and it kept getting hung on that message. I used the "places" app then hit the menu>directions and typed it in. After that it popped right up. Navigation app wont do anything still? So I too would like to know what the deal is. I'm running the same device and 2.2.1 as well. (Asheville, NC)

OP
N

navigator

Reaction score
Fixed

Thanks D1 you nailed it.

I had previously determined that my GPS worked. I drove 20 miles, Weatherbug tracked my position.

Taking your advice, I started Maps …directions … typed in an address . It worked perfectly. Went back to Navigation and it worked also.

Guess we will chalk this fix up to the Google Gods.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Noticed GPS icon was not showing at top of home page.
Steady or blinking?

Steady means it has a fix. Blinking means that it doesn't.

I've run into several instances where my GPS receiver has been unable to get a fix for whatever reason. GPS Status is a handy app in that it has always resolved this for me when I use it's feature to clear the aGPS cache. After doing do, the GPS receiver is able to get a fix in no time.