Searching For GPS in Navigator

diebold

Reaction score
Hi guys, loving the DroidX except for the fact that I have no GPS ability. Launching Navigator I constantly get a "Searching for GPS" message at the bottom of the screen.

1) Settings>>Location and Security>>USE GPS Satellites is checked and I've tried using Enable Assisted GPS.
2) Downloaded GPS STatus, and all morning it showed me 10 GPS sats that it could find, but I could not get a fix on any of them.
3) GPS Sat icon always flashes
4) Yes, I tested this outside, not in my car
5) I tried uninstalling Maps (reverting to the factory default one). That didn't work. I tried downloading from the Market. No luck.
6) I've tried turning off waiting 5 minutes and turning on.
7) Pulled the battery a few times.
8) I've tried different settings in GPS Status>>Settings>>Sensor Filtering from No filtering to Strong Filtering.

Any other suggestions?

First time droid user too, this is going to replace my car's GPS... as soon as it works. :icon_ banana:

monocogger

Reaction score
Same thing with me. it was really frustrating trying to find my way when my droid x gps didn't work. After about 15 minutes outside it finally decided to start working. By that time I had already stopped and asked for directions.

evetsmd

Reaction score
I tried me GPS an omy X and it worked. GPS Status lit up and showed all of the datellites and I also tried it with Trip Planner and it worked
Wish I could tell u what is the problem....if I can check anything for u let me know.

OP
D

diebold

Reaction score
UPDATE - I took my phone to the Verizon store and I managed to stump them. Along with idiotic comments like "Did you try setting the WiFi to on" "Yes, but it's hard to get a WifI signal when I'm in the middle of the woods or travelling down the highway between cities."

Next stop is to call Verizon support. I really hope I don't have to do a factory reset or even worse, turn in this phone and wait for a replacement.

OP
D

diebold

Reaction score
UPDATE - I was on the phone for an hour and a half with VZ support - even installing VZ Navigator the phone had me all over the place. It looks like I'll have to send the phone in for another unless there's an update.

Note: the support rep said that there is a OTA update coming for the Google Maps not being to lock onto the GPS and having the phone bounce all over the place.

Abacab

Reaction score
UPDATE - I was on the phone for an hour and a half with VZ support - even installing VZ Navigator the phone had me all over the place. It looks like I'll have to send the phone in for another unless there's an update.

Note: the support rep said that there is a OTA update coming for the Google Maps not being to lock onto the GPS and having the phone bounce all over the place.

I have had this problem where Google Maps looses the GPS lock many times. I wonder if it's a software update to Maps or a phone update.

mfpitcher

Reaction score
Possible gps fix

Settings: Location & security:use wireless networks

just hit the check box and it should help. It worked for me. The crazy verizon lady on the phone said there was no way to get google maps to work without gps enabled but she was wrong. I was having trouble getting my location on any app and this fixed it with google maps and yelp! Hope this helps.

Mac9375

Reaction score
Not ditchin garmen yet

OK, read through all posts. My gps cuts out when on highway. Spent half the state of Indiana looking for sats. It worked fine in urban area and when moving slow. Hit highway speed and bye bye lock. It came back when I stopped for gas or red light. When I stop it does aquire a signal pretty quick. GPS would be great around town and hiking but at speed it is a POC.

Yes I had wifi on. It did keep up navigation through the towers cuz the dot would jump around when it changed towers and the route was still on the map. I think the gps software is to slow to track at higher speeds so it just faults out. Otherwise it would happen all the time even at slow speeds.

swallman

Reaction score
OK, read through all posts. My gps cuts out when on highway. Spent half the state of Indiana looking for sats. It worked fine in urban area and when moving slow. Hit highway speed and bye bye lock. It came back when I stopped for gas or red light. When I stop it does aquire a signal pretty quick. GPS would be great around town and hiking but at speed it is a POC.

Yes I had wifi on. It did keep up navigation through the towers cuz the dot would jump around when it changed towers and the route was still on the map. I think the gps software is to slow to track at higher speeds so it just faults out. Otherwise it would happen all the time even at slow speeds.

I recently upgraded to the DX from the Droid 1 and the GPS worked perfectly on the D1 - never had an issue with it. However, I am finding that it drops out sporadically on the DX as well.

I found another post on the web where someone mentioned gripping the side of the phone and wouldn't you know it - GPS started working again. That is almost telling me this is a hardware issue.

Mac9375

Reaction score
It is a unit issue

On my third Droid X. Had my second one not work right out of the box. no new apps loaded. The store programmed it and I drove home looking for sats, never linked up. Sent that one back and the third one work right away.

I think they just a have a bunch of crappy units and fix them as they get returned.

Bucknutty

Reaction score
X Gps

I have had the same problem. I went to the VZ store today and had my intelligence insulted more than once. We finally just decided to do a hard reset. That didn't work. They are over-nighting me a replacement. I will let you all know how that works.

Other than this GPS bug, I have LOVED this phone.

kaeowyn

Reaction score
Had this problem for months and finally solved it the other day.

The GPS antenna in these things is uber sensitive. I am using a BH6X battery with the stock case. All I had to do was remove the battery cover and satellites starting popping up like wildflowers in GPS status. Put the stock battery back in and no problems at all with the case on.

mechgamer123

Reaction score
Why are you using vzw navigator and not google maps again?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums