Navigation & GPS From A Motorcycle

mmcompute

Reaction score
I ride a motorcycle 90% of the time so I bought a Droid mount for my bike. I wanted to use the Droid for navigation and to help avoid heavy traffic in the greater Atlanta area. The navigation works great as far as getting from point "A" to point "B" but I would like to be able to do the following:

1. See the traffic layer while in Navigation mode at street level.
  2. Keep the Google Maps screen active (doesn't turn off) while riding so that I can just view where I am. Sometimes I'm not going to any specific point so point-to-point navigation isn't required but I do like knowing where I am and seeing the traffic layer on Maps is handy.
For item 1: I know that I can select, "Traffic View" while in navigation but this zooms me way, way out to show my entire route. I really don't care about the traffic that is 50 miles out but I do care about the traffic a couple of miles out.

For Item 2: I've tried the "Car Dock" app and "Car Home" but neither will keep the screen active unless you are doing Point-to-point navigation. I just want to see the map. How do I keep the screen on?

Thanks!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I ride a motorcycle 90% of the time so I bought a Droid mount for my bike. I wanted to use the Droid for navigation and to help avoid heavy traffic in the greater Atlanta area. The navigation works great as far as getting from point "A" to point "B" but I would like to be able to do the following:

1. See the traffic layer while in Navigation mode at street level.
  2. Keep the Google Maps screen active (doesn't turn off) while riding so that I can just view where I am. Sometimes I'm not going to any specific point so point-to-point navigation isn't required but I do like knowing where I am and seeing the traffic layer on Maps is handy.
For item 1: I know that I can select, "Traffic View" while in navigation but this zooms me way, way out to show my entire route. I really don't care about the traffic that is 50 miles out but I do care about the traffic a couple of miles out.

For Item 2: I've tried the "Car Dock" app and "Car Home" but neither will keep the screen active unless you are doing Point-to-point navigation. I just want to see the map. How do I keep the screen on?

Thanks!
For Item 1: I don't use the maps enough to help you out.

For Item 2: Do you have a cigarette lighter plug? If not, let me tell you it took no more than 45 minutes to install one on my motorcycle. If you have it plugged into the lighter, you'll not only keep the Droid "awake" but you'll also be charging the battery.

What are you using for your Droid mount on your motorcycle? Link to the mount? Pictures of what it looks like?

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
I do have a power outlet and I have plugged in the Droid during the ride but the screen still goes to sleep. As for the mount, I'm using a "Techmount". Pictures are here: Picasa Web Albums - Michael - Techmount

It is basically a cell phone holder and does not incorporate the magnets that the Motorola's Droid mount offers.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
For number one, I've used Real Time Traffic app and has been pretty accurate, but it's not navigation.

For B, it's the combination of the magnet and the charging. If both are present the screen will stay on for you.

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
Cool. I can add a magnet. Where exactly would the magnet need to be on the phone so that it activates it?

fallsgable

Reaction score
I ride too. I ride every day...
this is NOT meant to be a FLAME post or anything...but PLEASE, get some good In Ear molded buds, plug them in, and keep the Droid in IN YOUR POCKET...the GPS will still work!!
DO NOT ride and try to look at the Droid screen for NAV while riding ANY bike!!
One of the beautiful things about the Droid, is that the nav will work fine from your jacket pocket with the buds in your ears!

Come on Dude!

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Here's how I fool GPS to stay awake and track me on or off charge

Open Maps. Get to a map screen. Menu>My Location The blue arrow appears where you are at.

Long press on a spot down the road. (100 yards or so) When the address bubble pops up, short press. Short press the Navigate symbol (road sign) follow the rest of the Navigation prompts. Then drive past that spot.

When you arrive at the location you picked the picture of the location comes up. The blue arrow is now large and on the left side of the screen. Short press the blue arrow. The pic goes away. The map tracks and rotates with you and the screen stays on. There are 3 buttons that stay at the top of the screen taking up some real estate, but do not touch or you loose the effect.

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
Agreed except:
"Keep the Google Maps screen active (doesn't turn off) while riding so that I can just view where I am. Sometimes I'm not going to any specific point so point-to-point navigation isn't required but I do like knowing where I am and seeing the traffic layer on Maps is handy." Can't get traffic updates with it in my pocket.

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
Here's how I fool GPS to stay awake and track me on or off charge

Open Maps. Get to a map screen. Menu>My Location The blue arrow appears where you are at.

Long press on a spot down the road. (100 yards or so) When the address bubble pops up, short press. Short press the Navigate symbol (road sign) follow the rest of the Navigation prompts. Then drive past that spot.

When you arrive at the location you picked the picture of the location comes up. The blue arrow is now large and on the left side of the screen. Short press the blue arrow. The pic goes away. The map tracks and rotates with you and the screen stays on. There are 3 buttons that stay at the top of the screen taking up some real estate, but do not touch or you loose the effect.

Nice tip! Thanks!

r1nstang

Reaction score
thats a pretty nice setup you got on your bike. Im lookin for something that will sit higher so I can use the video recorder of the droid to take video while riding. but i may have to look into that setup too
where did you get the case for the droid that mounts up? I only see the stem mount on that site thanks

Last edited:

r1nstang

Reaction score
this is NOT meant to be a FLAME post or anything...but PLEASE, get some good In Ear molded buds, plug them in, and keep the Droid in IN YOUR POCKET...the GPS will still work!!
One of the beautiful things about the Droid, is that the nav will work fine from your jacket pocket with the buds in your ears!

Come on Dude!

calm down man. Understand what your trying to say...but its not like hes gonna be staring at the screen the whole time. It would most likely just be for a quick glance when at a light to see which direction he needs to go. no worse then taking your eyes off the road to look behind you when you change lanes to make sure no ones there

CaDucatiMan

Reaction score

Come on Dude!

calm down man. Understand what your trying to say...but its not like hes gonna be staring at the screen the whole time. It would most likely just be for a quick glance when at a light to see which direction he needs to go. no worse then taking your eyes off the road to look behind you when you change lanes to make sure no ones there

Typically on a ride the only time I am looking for a route around traffic is when things slow down. If a freeway was to turn into a parking lot I'd pull over to the shoulder stop and then find a route around the clog. Either that or split lanes legally (Ca thing) until I am on an off ramp shoulder or side street and then figure out a detour. Just a secure place to mount it, power it and see it when I can afford to look at it. It's a PITA to pull your gloves off or dig it out of pocket and put it all where it was. Sometimes I am wearing a Dainese onesy that has no pockets..

I hope that moto if they have not already will make a hardwire kit. If not I will start with a USB cable and wire in a fuse and a plug that is smaller and more secure than a lighter plug.

rp683

Reaction score
This will help you with #1 and #2:

Open up the app drawer and select "Navigation." on the top left hand corner of the screen make sure "driving" is selected and on the top right hand corner of the screen is the "map" button, select it. This will keep Nav on no matter where you go and will show traffic automatically and won't shut off either. it will "follow" you along.

Side note, you can do this in the "walking mode" as well if you are walking.

rjax

Reaction score
Another way to keep the screen on is to use an app like KeepScreen and tell the screen to stay on whenever Maps is open.

And/or from your home screen you can go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development ... then check the box for "Stay Awake -- screen will never sleep when charging"

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
And/or from your home screen you can go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development ... then check the box for "Stay Awake -- screen will never sleep when charging"
Though it will dim after a bit of inactivity.