nandroid exited with status 31

jessej1111

Reaction score
Error 31 means that you have not rooted your phone. I have tested and verified this.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Interesting.
I am also getting an Error 31 status when trying to backup with Nandroid.
When I reboot normally I have SuperUser Permissions and can see the authorized applications. How can I not be rooted if this is the case ?????

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Interesting.
When I reboot normally I have SuperUser Permissions and can see the authorized applications. How can I not be rooted if this is the case ?????

I seem to recall that someone previously got around the Error 31 code by removing their sdcard and reformatting it (after saving everything to their pc). I've never gotten a 31 so this is not first hand information. But it's worth a try. BTW, if you try this be sure to let us know if it works.

Good luck.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Error 31 means that you have not rooted your phone. I have tested and verified this.

-1 ^^^ this. I've got to really disagree with this post, it is totally inaccurate. There is no way to get a custom recovery image on your phone without getting some sort of root access in the first place. The only way we can get any nandroid error codes is with a custom recovery image on our phones.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

-1 ^^^ this. I've got to really disagree with this post, it is totally inaccurate. There is no way to get a custom recovery image on your phone without getting some sort of root access in the first place. The only way we can get any nandroid error codes is with a custom recovery image on our phones.

Sorry teddy but it's very easy to get a custom recovery on your phone without rooting it.

You can flash the SPRonly.sbf and you would have SPR with no root access.
Then you can flash a rooted Rom to gain root access.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Interesting.

I seem to recall that someone previously got around the Error 31 code by removing their sdcard and reformatting it (after saving everything to their pc). I've never gotten a 31 so this is not first hand information. But it's worth a try. BTW, if you try this be sure to let us know if it works.

Good luck.

Thank you!!!!! :clap::clap:
That was it. I pulled out my new 32GB sdcard and inserted my old 16GB sdcard. Nandroid worked flawlessly. I don't pretend to understand why since I formatted the new card on the phone itself. Also, when I hook the new 32GB sdcard to the computer I can see nandroid backups in the nandroid folder since installing the card. Go figure. Obviously it had no relation to being rooted or unrooted as I still see the same superuser permissions with either card. Thanks again!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted

Sorry teddy but it's very easy to get a custom recovery on your phone without rooting it.

You can flash the SPRonly.sbf and you would have SPR with no root access.
Then you can flash a rooted Rom to gain root access.

And I was aware of this when I posted, but that alone does not remove the FRS (or rename recovery-from-boot.p) to keep the custom recovery upon reboot after making a backup, to then end up with any nandroid error code upon trying to restore. The SPR does give you root while booted into recovery, but I doubt one would flash that, then only run the commands to keep the custom recovery by themselves without finishing the rooting process. Therefore, to be in the situation that SANHacker was in, the part in bold would have to have been followed as well, therefore having a fully rooted phone. I should have been more thorough in my above quoted post.

But this is my just my understanding of how it works, I could be wrong.